16 May 2013

things i need to tell you.

1. i am eating pudding right now for late-breakfast. (early breakfast was tea.) it's the snack-pack kind in the plastic cups that i almost never buy, but meijer had that 10 for 10 sale (the 11th item free!) and so of course i rationalized it as the free extra item. also, it feels like friday, and that is somehow related in ways i can't articulate.

macchiato.
(this, sadly, is neither of my breakfasts. this is a macchiato from ethiopia two years ago, and it was amazing.)

2. my good camera is broken (hence the recycled macchiato picture). the shutter doesn't close and i get an error 99, and yep i've tried cleaning the contacts, but no cigar. this gives me that sad, my-third-eyeball-is-broken sort of feeling.

3. as you may recall, my weight-management strategy is to never buy clothes in a larger size. right about now, when our nine months of winter turn into time-to-wear-shorts-it's-may, i have roughly two options: a) get off my hindquarters and exercise; and b) take up residence on a nude beach.

i don't think my two remaining eyeballs can handle b (plus nobody's eyeballs would survive me), so we are going with a.

which means that

4. with great sighing and internal vocalized reluctance, i started running again. that was two weeks back, and i took the 10 year old, who is just my speed. or actually he is not, but he waits for me and doesn't complain (whereas with the two oldest boys, after half a block it's just like running by myself).

with the homeschooling, my schedule is weird and i haven't gotten to run on weekdays, so i'm mostly walking instead. the problem with walking is that it's slow and i could be running and so i'm annoyed with it the entire time. sometimes i get the small guy to walk with me, which is way more fun (i am all about the walking with somebody, it's like conversation with a side-helping of exercise that i don't even notice), but mostly i let him play for recess in the back while i walk circles around our oversized yard. (let me explain. i have tried jogging around the yard, but it's uneven in a way that tricks you under all that grass, and i turned my ankle twice in the first lap.) (i kind of wish it had been three times, because i wanted to type 'thrice' right there.)

personally, i'd like to be a swimmer. you don't get hot, it's easy on the knees, and you end up with killer shoulders. this is totally the sport for me, as soon as i learn how to swim properly.

hawaii8b

5. my padre, who is my best dad, has been having some concerning abdominal-organ issues. after another stay at the hospital, he is now home again, minus a gallbladder. he is still full of jokes and encouragement for everyone else, but he's not feeling well and eating continues to be a struggle. please pray.

6. i have a boatload of seriously amazing people in my life. some of you guys i see every week, and some of y'all are too far off for my liking, but you all are my people, and you show up for me in ways i don't even the smallest bit deserve. thank you. for the calls, words of affirmation, embarrassing college videos, care for my parents, unflagging prayer, notes in the actual mail, all of it. you all are so much light.

15 comments:

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

i had to get a new shutter thingie (motor? shutter? who knows.) on my nikon a while back. it quit working at dinsney world. go figure. the technician said that your camera keeps an internal count of all the pictures you have taken and mine was like 62,000 or something. so, for a shutter, i guess that's a lot, but breaking at disney world? come on! ha!

Joy Kinard said...

I do wish we were close enough for a real live hug.

This parent business in the area of them feeling not perfect is for the birds.

Praying you safely to Africa sweet friend.

xxoo

Kendal Privette said...

i wish i could hear your alive voice with this post....stopping to pray for your father right now.

Katarina said...

Ughh, so sorry to hear about your camera:( and always so sorry we live so far away!!! Sending prayers your way. xx

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

You are so so so lovely.

Jennifer Shults said...

I'm so so sorry about your camera. I feel like those little pictures you show are the very window to your world and a brief peek into your soul. :( I hope there is an easy fix on the horizon. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I hope being minus 1 gall bladder helps heal what making him ache. Big HUGS!

Brandee Shafer said...

Oh, the camera. I hate that feeling. I'd rather give up my cell phone or even my wallet. The camera is second only to my keys.

Good for you with the exercise. I am a swimmer without a moment to swim. I think, when the baby gets a little older, I will rejoin the Y. Wish we could have a walk together.

lulu said...

you without your third eye is not right, nic. i am so sorry. and yay for getting the gluteus maximus movin'!:) for growing strength and some agility in the body! may you, your dad, your family be wrapped in His love, peace, even joy right now. love.

CurlyGirlD said...

Sorry about your camera - even more sorry about your Dad. Prayers on the way for him. Thank you for always sharing such beautiful words. No matter what you share, your words are so light and full of hope. Your blog is filled with peace & I adore reading it.

K said...

I just love you. And I haven't been around for awhile, but I'm just popping by to give you a high five and to say that I'm the world's slowest runner, and every other day my knee hurts and I feel like a grandma. All that to say that I would LOVE to be your running partner.

Jennifer said...

Sorry about the camera...that is so frustrating. I've been having some trouble with mine lately and it's really irritating. :-( Praying your Dad gets to feeling better soon.

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

And all I'm thinking is, "How was I so lucky to score this girl for a real-life, forever friend?"

Farmgirl Paints said...

I can hear your voice talking to me as I read this now:-) I kinda love that. So sorry about the camera. That would do me in. As far as the exercising and weight gain goes I'm staring at some numbers on the scale that have got to move down. I actually gasped out loud when I got on there yesterday. Yikes.

hannah singer said...

nic. i sure hope we meet, this side of heaven.

praying for your sweet dad. something about our pop being ill, really wears us thin, i think.

also, i want that pudding please. thank you.

Heather said...

Missing you here.
Hope all is well.
Love, Heather