04 January 2013

behold.

january2

i wasn't planning on resolutions or a word of the year, because like lovelyn said, my aim in any arena boils down to simply this: love well.

but i spent the first of january with some hopeful specifics circling my brain, so i figured i'd write this stuff down in a non-losable place before i can't remember that i wished for anything bigger than wrangling dinner onto the table tonight.

hot&cold
frosted2

this year, i'm shooting for more: hydration, giving, marinating in scripture (via lectio divina), mileage walked/run, writing, paying attention in life, leafy greens, phone calls, historical fiction, prayer, beans&rice, sun, letters by postal mail, reading to my kids, speaking kindness with honesty, singing, tea.

less: sweets, online window shopping, lectures that render everyone under twelve magically hard-of-hearing, cynicism, coffee.

i'll give a hearty go at: functional kiswahili, pull ups, learning chess so i can lose to my son, books on kindle. (this last item calls for some backstory: i'm the sort of person who can wax sentimental about the smell of ink and glue, the feel of coated paper, the heft of a book in your hands. i despise e-readers. however. i recently discovered that excess baggage to other continents chimes in at $280 per bag, so i decided to get to know a kindle.)

kindle
frosted3
out front

as far as words go, i juggled around a couple possibilities for this year's pick, but kept coming back to behold. consider, study, see. to hold.

as in: behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (john 1.29).

or: behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God (1 john 3.1).

if i fear anything, it's losing sight of God in the middle of doing His thing, and i figure if i can just behold Him, see even a sliver of His worth and His love, my heart will remain where it most belongs: puddled at His feet.

i will care for the needs and feelings of others, but i exist solely for the delight of Christ. the dismissal or disapproval of the people around me can hollow me out, it's true, but at the end of the day it's just me quiet before my King. and i rise and fall for His pleasure, my blood surging for the sight of Him alone.

red

what are you hoping for this year?

12 comments:

happygirl said...

I love your lists. All good things to do and all good things to do less. I'll add kindness to self to the list of to-dos. Bless you, friend and happy 2013. :)

Brandee Shafer said...

Peace. (That's my word.) Beholding seems like a good thing to do. I read your lists and think you very ambitious, but I want to send more letters by postal mail, too. And learn a little about the new camera. Write more but blog less.

Mama Poobah said...

How beautiful. Thank you! And now I've signed up for email from Lectio Divina, too. One of my resolutions this year is to pursue God. Christ lives in my heart, but it's time that pursued that closeness that He wants with me and I need with Him. So into His Word I go... :)

Farmgirl Paints said...

i'm hoping for great things friend...great things. my word is begin. time to begin. love your word...love YOU!

Captain Murdock@Godwilladd.com said...

I'm hoping for more of His word, and less excitement. Shoot, sometimes those two don't go together??

Kendal Privette said...

oh my this is gorgeous. and hopeful and it's love, really. i hope for more writing beyond my blog.

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

"i will care for the needs and feelings of others, but i exist solely for the delight of Christ." Booyah. (Or something like that.)

lulu said...

wonderful, nic. i hear you on the ebooks. i am valuing the mass amount of stories/reads that can fit in one small tablet as we look into downsizing. impressive gadgets. pretty pictures you shared. i'd like to try to get some of my thoughts into words here soon for this special time of year. you did a wonderful job and thanks for sharing with us.

lauren said...

i'm hoping in 20l3 you start a class to teach me how to take pictures. pictues that make my jaw drop like yours do. every.single.time. that's what i'm hoping for. :)

Amanda said...

marinating in scripture. yesss. I need that. that and prayer. Oh man I'd give it all up for those two things. too bad my heart rebels agaisnt me.
I used to be in a lectio group and it was stellar. I'm a fan.

Laura said...

I really enjoyed reading this tonight. There is something about a new year that inspires me to set goals and be intentional and do better. :) We share many of the same goals and loves in life. I am excited to follow your blog in 2013!

Karen Siddiqi said...

I found a typo...you said "less coffee" and surely you meant for that to be in the "more" list. :). Your goals inspire me...