01 November 2012

like home.

Oahu
[photo by mark kortum]

so i'm on oahu sharing about kenya with friends and church family and catching up on all that God's been up to in their lives. and mostly i feel like someone hit pause, because even the folks i haven't seen for a decade look exactly the same, except now they come with kids.

the first morning here as i looped out an early morning jog, something hulking on the outskirts of my vision startled me a bit. then a half-second later my brain caught up and i was like, ah. mountains. i do remember those guys.

also, can i just say that it is weird to be in your childhood home and constantly opening the wrong drawers or reaching for a towel rack that is no longer there. muscle memory is a stubborn thing, and maybe also my mom should keep the forks in the same place for all time so it doesn't take me three tries to find them. :)

i'm poured full right now--i've gotten to see so many school and church and family friends, people who have loved me through my growing pains, done life right beside me, made me so much of who i am.

and i'm in this muddled flux of missing my kids and the mister like crazy, but relishing the chance to be with my folks and my brothers and all the good people of hawaii. this place--with its red dirt sidewalks and eucalyptus and tanioka's sushi--this feels like home. the midwest feels like home. and soon east africa will feel like home. and i wonder if i'll always feel a bit stretched, like my heart covers so much terrain, and no matter where i am there's a bunch of precious somebodies i'm missing.

maybe so. probably so. but still, i wouldn't trade this life for anything.

13 comments:

Marie said...

beautiful!

thoughts, words, pictures. you may feel a bit stretched, but God has also given you the unique talent for stretching others a bit too! thank you:)

lulu and family said...

you described it (that stretched home and caring) so well. i agree with you--"probably so." beautiful picture shared. so glad you have this time with loved ones across the ocean!

fleetfeet said...

:)

That's all.

Oh. And we miss you. Come back safely and soon!

Kim said...

darn your mom and those moved forks! enjoy your time. and yes. "home" is malleable, isn't it?

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

Okay, how did this trip never come up over my soup??? I hear you loud and clear, girl. I'm so glad you're home for a while.

Captain Murdock@Godwilladd.com said...

Wait just a blooming second ... you grew up in Hawaii? I take back every empathetic thought I ever had for you and replace it with jealousy. Jealousy for your past and jealousy for where you currently are. ;-)

HappyAsiaGirl said...

"My heart covers so much terrain"
that's the perfect way to describe it.

Courtney said...

Enjoy Home! Thanks for the amazing picture...just breathtaking!

Kendal said...

this home-going. so beautiful. best wishes for your stay.

rahel said...

Oh how good I know those feelings too. Had to laugh about the part about reaching for the wrong places and looking for the forks... Enjoy your time with family and friends!

Katarina said...

So precious: your thoughts, your sights, your people and your life:)
xxxxx

Joy Kinard said...

this is so beautiful. all of it. the land, the words, and your heart, and His.

FUDGE! said...

I enjoyed every minute I got to chat with you while here visiting. I just wish your trips "home" weren't 4+ years apart.