11 September 2012

last week, and then some.

baked treats


last week the mister zipped on over to kansas for some sweet time with extended family, and while i was glad for him, i was also a little mopey for me missing out on all those good folk and their gorgeous kids. oh, for a pair of ruby slippers.

meanwhile, we were enjoying our very own in-house drama production, a play in two parts: i'd rather not do my homework but thanks for playing, mom, followed by an award-winning rendition of slow pokiest kid in the western hemisphere. a note on part two: the four bigger kids have traveled by school bus for a combined total of 21 years, four months, and never once have they come close to missing the bus. little m has enjoyed bus privileges for four big weeks and has gone pelting out the door to barely catch the thing nine times now.


8july2


he dedicates special energy to snail pacing when it's me hurrying him along in the mornings, which means that last week little m tore across the lawn at 7:10 every single morning (while i prayed in the background 'oh please let his bus be late, please let his bus be late' so as not to have to make good on my promise of if-you-miss-the-bus-i-am-not-driving-you-to-school-and-you-will-be-stuck-here-with-me,-kiddo).

friday he made it by a few flimsy seconds, which means i Needed A Plan.

so this week, i am pulling him from bed an hour early each morning, explaining, in my best mary poppins voice, that clearly he needs extra time to get ready for school. this shall hopefully prove to be a giant dollop of genius because, at the ripe age of six, he is two-thirds teenager and loves his sleep. (next week we shall return to the normal waking hour, but should he not walk out the door with his siblings on time, we go back to a 5:10 bugle call.)

i'll let you know who caves first.


no guts, no glory


kristin & browning (the mister's sister and her husband) came in for the weekend, and in honor of the occasion we simmered up some tomato soup. note to self: fresh tomatoes make All The Difference in whether or not i actually like the outcome. and k&b maybe need to move closer, because pretty much we can't get enough of those guys.


cheesy potato soup


also, i thought it important to photograph this cheesy potato soup for you. at first it was a sad starchy puddle of bland, but then i grated in some mozzarella and the world righted itself. when in doubt, add cheese.


parcel


also-also, 'twas my aunt's birthday saturday, and she's just one of those people who pours our lives full of goodness from afar. so i was really hoping she'd get my package in time, and God worked it out so it popped up all the way over on kauai in two skinny days. bless you, priority mail.

plus also, we got to celebrate a second birthday and i love our new neighbors & their seven-year-old twins and my uncle sent me pictures from kenya and our kids' passports just came in the mail.

sometimes there's so much good going on that my feet barely touch the ground.


Untitled


now you: what all is making you sing these days?

9 comments:

Candi said...

Oh, I have a slow-poke girl that drives me nutty! I think her life is in slow-motion! On a brighter note...we got a certain letter from homeland security/ uscis about a certain appointment for later this month. :)

Kristin said...

I see you discovered Jeff and Mona's treat table. I could spend my whole week's grocery budget there!

Raechel said...

I love the early morning bugle call! You're a committed mama to wake yourself at that hour!

At the moment, Oliver loves the bus so much that when I wake him, he pops out of bed and asks, "Is there still time to catch the bus?!!?" He knows if he doesn't get ready in time, I'll drive him to school. (oh, the agony!)

He just loves the bus and missing it is enough motivation for him to jolt awake.

If I couldn't only be this fortunate into his teen years!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Little stinker that m. Surely the early wake up will do the trick. Of course that would do ME in!! Let's see make my heart sing? Uh went thrifting today and found the mother lode of belts for cuffs. We're talking tons of good ones! It was singing:)

Katarina said...

Thanks GOD no buses here, the school is only 1 corner away, otherwise, we would be always late, for sure.

Nacole said...

Nic,

It has been a while since I've been by. And guess what? I just realized that we have the same name. I loved your simple, nostalgic-for-home piece you wrote about your family. I don't know how you do that--you just write about ordinary moments that give me this nostalgic feeling--and it feels like your backyard is the coziest place to be. "When in doubt, add cheese"--love it, girl. What's making me sing these days? Oh, dappled light still here, the warm sun as fall's coolness comes in; red Spider lillies splashing my lawn with autumn; my girls jumping on the trampoline and chasing dragonflies and butterflies for an experiment in a spider's web--and getting me involved; my Bella's crush-my-heart dimples, and the light in Lilly's eyes as she flutters eyelashes, tries to flirt and mesmerize me into forgetting about her mischievousness, running around the lake, reading in the hammock with my girls. Blessings to you, Nic.

lulu and family said...

thanks for the sweet words. and, yes, too familiar crusts and crumbs are no good.=) although, i am sure many of these above moments were not so funny at the time, they are humorous reading.=) we have been whipping up some soups over here, too. love when the weather gives excuse for it!

Michelle said...

Nic, I add parmesan to my soups, yum!

I have a slow poke girl. Waking her early doesn't work. Nagging doesn't work. Dressing her myself doesn't work (she takes those clothes off as quick as I put them on). I'm hoping that her innate desire to run on time will eventually win out over her desire to take everything at a snail's pace. She's 5. She drives me crazy, LOL! My big girl is a dreamer, so provides me with other "special" challenges!

Kim said...

cheese makes the world a better place to be in. seriously.

also, we need to get little m together with g and e. i'm sure together they would really give us a run for our money. (in other words, they would win.)

finally, i'm insanely jealous that your little dude loves him some sleep. because just for one time i would like to lounge in bed until 7 a.m. *sigh*

finally, finally, i wish we had the chance to be neighbors before you leave this crazy country. i love your heart, sister.