29 August 2012

incognito.

Untitled


you would think that with all five littles combed and sneakered off to school each day, i'd have rivers of quiet space to do things like quilt and scour tubs and, um, blog.

so far this program has not panned out.

as it happens, missions prep is something of a pretty big job--one that's already yielded precious conversations and friendships, beyond our wildest reckonings, and one that's rooted my knees to the floorboards in prayer. at the beginning, middle and end of the day, it's all God carrying us every inch of the way to africa. but He lets me in on His work, and this thrills and exhausts me by turn, and in spite of the forces of gravity and introversion i find myself leaping at the chance.


Untitled


then we have our soccer. i could wax ridiculous on my love of the game, but i'll spare the many of you who truly do not care and just say this: certain angles of our son's jv season have been hard on my patience and charitable organs. but it struck me again just yesterday that the main point of b on the team is not to get loads of playing time or quality coaching or the rush of winning a game. the main point is to make much of God, and that can be done in spite of--or maybe especially in--unfair circumstances.

i've so very much to learn.


Untitled


speaking of learning: the first few weeks of school have gone swimmingly, by which i mean the kids all seem to love the place and little m has only gone off adventuring once (that we know of), and was thankfully rounded up in the parking lot. also, he has embraced the universal joy of scissors, and on more than one occasion he's carted home work from the day snipped apart all willy-nilly when it's pretty clear cutting was not a step in the actual assignment. i plan to attend the parent-teacher conference in disguise.


Untitled


full today, from
-friends who know how to love
-fresh broccoli in our rattlesnake pasta
-funny, talented, beautiful brothers
-jasmine and chipati
-fifty-six degree nights
-leif enger
-unmerited favor for prodigals like me

13 comments:

Joy Kinard said...

you do make me tend to hang on every last word.

i needed that soccer pep talk for life in general.

xxoo

Candi said...

You make me giggle! Love this...and you!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

" the main point is to make much of God, and that can be done in spite of--or maybe especially in--unfair circumstances."

Favorite ever.

Adore you.

ps - send prayers...

:)

Ostriches Look Funny said...

Oh i love you.

I plan on attending the parent teacher conference in disguise! AHAHAHHA!
Classic

I'm glad you found time to blog. You're words are encouraging and wise...and hilarious.

Farmgirl Paints said...

You are such a poet my friend. I can only imagine how much work is involved with getting a missions trip together. Only with God... Btw what's chipati?

hannah singer said...

nic. oh, girl.
"the main point is to make much of God, and that can be done in spite of--or maybe especially in--unfair circumstances"
learning this lesson as well!
so happy you blogged. as i always am when you do.

lifting you up in prayer today, and wishing we could share a cuppa! xo

happygirl said...

I always wore sunglasses to parent/teacher meetups. incognito. :)

Kim said...

i love when you write something new. and your photos? breathtaking. wanna drive here and take some family shots for us? and pick out outfits and do my hair.... ;)

Captain Murdock said...

Glad you're back friend. Glad school is going well.

I typically take parent teacher conferences as an opportunity to go on vaca. Think about it?

Marie said...

going incognito may be a "must" :)
and the point of soccer? that also may be the point of life. i love your perspective.

lulu and family said...

love those gratitude lists. they frame a day, a week... really sweetly. those shots of yours make me smile--the light, your boy, wonderful.

Deb Colarossi said...

You slay me again and again.

and that's not even counting the photos.

Katarina said...

You are such an incredible person and your posts with those amazing pictures are always such a treat for me:) Your words for me are one incredible reminder about how life is made of the small things and how we should be grateful for those things in our lives. Sometimes you make my days being so much better(especially when managing being only a mom and a lame housewife, without time to even think about quilts etc.) and I so LOVE you about that:)))xxxxxx