11 October 2011

birthday girl.




last friday elle made seven. we celebrated with a family camp-out on the living room floor, pizza and cupcakes and kit kittredge on the screen. she exclaimed over every gift and trailed me all weekend tootling on her yamaha recorder ('i put it on my list, mom, but i didn't think i'd actually get it'). we paired the recorder with a book of beginning songs in hopes that:

a. she might learn to read music

and

b. she might play something other than tunes comprised entirely of the note of c.









for the past three years or so elle's been an avid book-maker, crafting illustrated stories and pilfering my printing paper and ever in need of stapling services. so we assembled this author's (and illustrator's) kit for her, and oh is she ever in love.


drawing lab

author's box

cereal box blank books, watercolor cakes, the book book, drawing lab

she's already begun work on her first book, and though it's too early to give a full report, i've an inkling that this gift will be a giant hit for months to come.


* * *


to elle, seven things on your birthday:

-you have the best laugh this side of newark. it begins in your gut and ripples up into your throat and infects everyone in a quarter mile radius.





-you ask to be tucked in, every night, no exceptions.

-daily detritus is a treasure in your eyes, from library receipts to the tissue paper that comes balled up in new sneakers and you must keep it all. you are the pack-rattiest kid, and i waffle between amusement and exasperation each time i step into your room of happy clutter.





-you've an awful lot of spunk for your britches.

-you are chattery-sweet and need little prompting to detail every minute of your school day when you get home. (and oh, how i hope this never stops.)





-you mother everyone within hugging distance, whether they hope for it or not.

-you are tender toward God and people and my biggest wish for you is this: stand rooted in how completely God loves you, and treasure Him back fierce and full.







happy birthday, my girl.

27 comments:

happygirl said...

Happy Birthday SEVEN. Seven is the BEST. So much better than Six. I'm glad she got the gift she wanted. Special. Such a beauty. :)

Brandee Shafer said...

I love her. Happy Birthday, Little Miss. 7 is THE perfect #.

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday, Miss E! What a gorgeous post, Nic...the sentiments and the pics! I LOVE the pic with the leaves up in the air - L.O.V.E!

TheUnSoccerMom said...

Happy, Happy Birthday E!!!

The picture with her throwing the leaves in the air is awesome! Love the expression on her face. You can feel the joy! :o)

TheUnSoccerMom said...

OH! Such a great gift! I think I may need to borrow that idea for my niece at Christmas time. :o)

lulu and family said...

hi, nic, i want to be your daughter.=) oh, and that gray, ruffled shirt is adorable. what a birthday you and your family blessed her with! happy 7!

Gina said...

Honestly Nic our girls sound just alike! From the book making to the pack rat to the sweet and sassy!!

fleetfeet said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Elle!

PS - do I know that cornfield? It looks strangely familiar!

Jenn said...

Every year L, you turn a year old just ahead of my Jules. I'm hoping and praying that someday soon you two little gals can meet in person (you've got an awful lot to talk about). Even at 7 + 4 days your beauty is astounding. Birthday wishes from one almost 7 year old to another!!

Leanne said...

Such a beautiful post.

Heather said...

Precious girl.
Sounds nearly exactly like my Molly.
Enjoy 7, Elle!

Jorth! said...

Happy happy birthday gorgeous girl!

Captain Murdock said...

Happy birthday. You sound like a precious little girl, and like you might be a long lost twin to my Eldest. She is the packratiest little kid I've ever met, and it drives me insane!

MP said...

Looks like she had a wonderful birthday! I can't get over how beautiful and perfect the author's kit is. I'm gonna have to thieve that one from you.
Also, can we be neighbors?

emily wierenga said...

this made me teary. i'm with brandee. i love her too.

Ostriches Look Funny said...

And here I thought I didn't want a girl...wahhhh she 's so adorable/brilliant. It must be nice to have such a friend :)

Farmgirl Paints said...

my girl is leaving 7 behind. waaaaa...such a great year for them. pretty sure 8 will be too. love the pictures. she is just beautiful.

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, Miss Elle! May it be a magical year for you.

alisa said...

happiest day elle!! nic, i love your photos, i guess it helps that she's such a cutie!! LOVE that author's kit!

hannah singer said...

happy birthday!! such a darling girl!

i love the book making gift. wow! xo

Katarina said...

She is soooo beautiful and precious.
Happy birthday from all of us!!:)

Sarah said...

Sweet photos. I love her outfit. I want one just like it :)

Bless by Tone said...

Happy Belated, my girl will be 7 in January - you're just a little older than they are. Tone

Southern Gal said...

Happy birthday to your girl! Beautiful photos and post. Some of her ways remind me of my girl who is now 22. That pack rat thing for one. It was an adventure, albeit a scary one, every time I checked under her bed. I wish I hadn't fussed about it quite as much as I did.

kendal said...

the author kit is my favorite. the recorder is second....mine have graduated to bigger, LOUDER instruments, but they definitely got their start on the yamaha! beautiful, beautiful piece, nic.

nieves said...

ohhh que fotos, que preciosidad! Me encanta y me encanta tu blog, así que me quedo aquí a seguirte!
Un beso grande desde MADRID,
Nieves.
http://igloocooking.blogspot.com

gillian said...

NIC!!! You are just the bestest mama EVER!!! I adore what you got her for her birthday!! BRILLIANT!! (I am copying you, btw. My Little Miss is an avid story book maker too!). Oh Hun.... every single time I check up on your over here I fall in love with you all over again!! You may have inspired me to start up my personal blogging again...

xoxox