29 July 2011

hors d'oeurve

sticky hot

all the earth's an exhale, warm and sticky, so we caper about in icy spray and drip dry into evening. we whisper-read between chilled shelves of library books, the rasp of pages turning like music. we sift through yard sale sheets and desks and casserole dishes. we plan out parties and sport pop-tart smiles and sugar rushes (thank you, grandma owens). and the soundtrack slipping behind it all is a mix of belly laughs and kidspeak and footfalls and it's a hint of eternity, i think, all this goodness swimming up summery and gold. and i can hardly wait, just can't wait for more.

10 comments:

Farmgirl Paints said...

i love seeing every single drop of water. what a wonderful summer post. the pop tart summed it all up for me;) have a great weekend.

happygirl said...

I think the elbow in the water spray is my fav. Wow, you have a good eye. :)

alisa greig said...

love these! happy summer, owens family!!

hannah singer said...

perfect PERFECT photos. they shout summer love. praying all is well with you xo

Bonnie Widmaier said...

so beautifully said. congrats again on your newest set of "piggies"

Katarina said...

FUN, fun, fun!!:)
Can almost feel the drops:))

Ostriches Look Funny said...

I was thinking similar things when I drove slowly through a traffic jam, and along the side of the road I noticed wild flowers. It seems rather extravagant to put them, right there, where no one except for the traffic jammed noticed. That extravagance makes me excited for heaven, you know?

Southern Gal said...

The belly laughs are my favorite.

Nancy said...

I just can't wait for more either. Oh, how I love summer! And sugary rushes from Grandma Owens? I keep forgetting that we share the Owens name. My mom loves making and decorating cut-out sugar cookies that she packages up and sends to all the grandkids. They call them Grandma O cookies.

lulu and family said...

i love how you put so many of our feelings into such beautifully put words. awesome summertime!