23 June 2011

here.

waking up in addis wears the scent of coffee and dust and miracle.

given the last-minute nature of this trip, i ended up with The Route of Mammoth Layovers, and i'd have to say the easy pace was much kinder to my blood pressure than last trip's sprint through terminals-passport control-visa line.

highlights from the trek over: a chipotle burrito with a party of veggies (and sizeable enough to function as both lunch and dinner during my 7.5 hours in dulles); getting to know my seatmates' stories on the first two flights; receiving an unexpected verbal blessing from an ethiopian grandma (instant tears on my part); spending this morning with other adoptive families in the guest house.

tomorrow those of us newly arrived will have an orientation meeting and spend some time with our children. i'm chomping at the bit.



ps it's not likely i'll be uploading/posting photos while i'm here; i promise to make up for it with a landslide when i return.

pps at breakfast i met a little boy who lived for a few months at the same care center as mine. he kept calling me m's mama, and my heart has been swollen ever since.

17 comments:

fleetfeet said...

My heart is swollen, too. And the tears are flowing. Such, a blessed, blessed adventure.

Karen Siddiqi said...

Praying for you and this journey! How exciting :)

Kendal said...

so glad you posted. praying! smiling! tearing up!

TheUnSoccerMom said...

Amazing! I'm so super happy for you!! And I can't wait for the barage of photos that document everything. :o)

happygirl said...

Travel is so difficult. I'm glad you were able to find some diversions. Bless you on your journey to grow your family. :)

Sami Jo said...

Awesome!!! What an amazing time for you and your family! Can't wait for pics!!!!

p.s. what is with that anonymous post? think it was spam... weird yo.

alisa greig said...

can't wait for your moment of being reunited :) blessings to you now and on your journey home!

Tara said...

Nicki.. can't wait to see the photos and talk with you about your trip! Praying for smooth goings and safe travels as you head home with your little man!

Nancy said...

I know others who are waiting for their children from Ethiopia. Knowing you are there makes me so happy for you and excited for them.

Farmgirl Paints said...

my heart is swollen for you! awesome, awesome, awesome.

Heather said...

Oh wow!
And so begins your adventure with your next little one.
Give him extra squishes for all of us "internet friends".
xo

Baron said...

the pps made the tough uncle shed some tears... we can't wait to meet "m" & welcome him into the family!

hannah singer said...

this is such a blessing, to follow this journey of yours. thanks for the treat.

praying! <3

Katherine said...

After a boring, tiresome day at work, I'm on my way to bed wondering what to write for today in my 'Grace' book. With tears of joy I will now write of the miracle that made your family and M find each other.

Our Lord's peace, grace and blessings to you all.

Katherine said...

After a boring, tiresome day at work, I'm on my way to bed wondering what to write for today in my 'Grace' book. With tears of joy I will now write of the miracle that made your family and M find each other.

Our Lord's peace, grace and blessings to you all.

Baron said...

the pps made the tough uncle shed some tears... we can't wait to meet "m" & welcome him into the family!

TheUnSoccerMom said...

Amazing! I'm so super happy for you!! And I can't wait for the barage of photos that document everything. :o)