04 May 2011

on older brothers.

we were skinned-knee kids in a townhouse complex redolent of neverland: swooping streets and monkey pod branches shading pathways that crawled like a secret.


there were so many times in those days. the time we tied hulking cardboard wings to our arms and barreled down the back hill over and over, so sure we’d had lift-off for a hovering moment. the times we stomped trails in the towering cane fields and shrieked from spiders, big as hands. the time nate doodled on the neighbor’s convertible with permanent marker (k, technically i was too young to remember that one, but i do recall hearing it retold a bunch). the time we slung mudballs at ms-across-the-street’s fence and then had to go back to scrub it clean. the time i fell from the playground platform and smacked my skull hard and nate took off at a dead-sprint for help.


really, i’m not sure i can pull a single frame from that era that doesn’t contain my older brother. he was constant and everywhere and larger than life, usually egging me on against my careful judgment. every now and again i try to imagine the girl i'd be, had i not grown up close in his churning wake. but i give up right quick because any version of me minus nate is too boring to fathom.


he tilted my childhood brave and funny and teeming with adventure, and prepped me well for life with four boys of my own.


so nate? i s’pose i owe you pretty big. thanks for being my very first bestie.


:)


back in the day.




20 comments:

Brian Miller said...

big smiles. wonderful ode to your brother...and i remember the cardboard wings...ha...we had those too...those were the days...

Heather said...

love your way with words soooo much :)

Farmgirl Paints said...

i have two older brothers...eleven and twelve years older and they tortured me. i'm glad you have sweet memories. mine include being thrown into the Christmas tree and smacked in the head with pillows until my ears rang. good times...not!

Elaine A. said...

Such great memories in both your words and your photos. Brothers are pretty awesome. I would know. I have three. :)

hannah singer said...

beautiful, nic!
sweet, sweet relationship. love it.
i have two brothers, though they are younger than i, we are close in age and bond.
there's nothing like amazing brothers.
(these photos are a delight to my heart!)

Joybird said...

I can't even imagine my life without my little bro and don't even want to either. After parents I think sibs are God's best gift to children. And that first sentence, Nic, was pure magic. Just magic my talented friend.

Joybird said...

And how cool is a snowman cake in Hawaii!?!?

Cathy said...

Lucky brother.

life or something like it said...

:) makes me smile

eloranicole said...

i feel this way about my younger brother. loved this.

happygirl said...

I was the oldest and I broke the ice (also known as the parents) for them. I hope they feel I was THERE for them. Thanks

Katarina said...

Oh my, you were so adorable!!!!
Well, I don't have any brother experience, as I have only one smaller sister, but I am so lucky to have my baby boy that is such a terrific brother;)))

Vonda said...

Cutest kids EVER!!!! Look at your chubby cheeks!!!! Adorable!

Melissa@one thing said...

Awesome tribute...

Nicole said...

So cute! Love the snowman!

emily wierenga said...

nic, you slayed me with your opening line... wow girl. you should write a book. i love that he drew on the convertible with permanent marker :) classic! love you.

lulu and family said...

he tilted my childhood brave and funny and teeming with adventure, and prepped me well for life with four boys of my own.

that's just perfect...seeing the blessing of it for the now.=) your children are so fortunate for all this playful, adventurous prep you had. great tribute to your bro!

emily wierenga said...

nic, you slayed me with your opening line... wow girl. you should write a book. i love that he drew on the convertible with permanent marker :) classic! love you.

Melissa@one thing said...

Awesome tribute...

Vonda said...

Cutest kids EVER!!!! Look at your chubby cheeks!!!! Adorable!