16 April 2011

week in review.




well that week whisked by at mach speed. for an old dude, father time can move.


we now have tickets to addis; we’ll leave may 13th and arrive at night on the 14th. even though i’ve worked out in my head how far we are from the horn of africa, the miles only began to sink in when i studied our itinerary and exclaimed to the mister: this is nearly two trips to hawaii! get out! (i did not actually say the ‘get out’ part, but i should have. it’s very exclamatory.)


the cherry tree out back has bloomed like so much popcorn. on balmy days bees swarm the skunk-scented blossoms, which makes me think they are either resolute in their pollination duties, or else lacking proper noses. poor guys.







i am working on a now-late birthday something for my youngest sister in law, and in allegiance to my lifelong MO, it’s taking roughly twelve times longer than i’d planned. however. if it turns out even a smidge of the awesome that it is in my head, this will be time well spent.


i have officially learned to love lentils. now to convince the rest of the fam. (sort, rinse, simmer, drain. then cook in a bit of oil with onions, garlic, cumin and tomato sauce. serve with salsa and crispy quesadillas.)



(not a picture of lentils, but still sparkly, right? if only my brain would give me advance notice on what odd thing i'm going to find blog-worthy at the end of the week. then i could Photograph Appropriately.)


there’s nothing like a looming court date to make one stare down one’s wardrobe until it twitches. i’m to don business attire and quiet dress shoes, but as a mum who works from home, such things do not live in my closet. (do i own anything that would pass as dress shoes? for that matter, do i own a pair of shoes less than seven years old? um, that would be a negative on both counts.) luckily, i have spotted a dress shirt on clearance and some quietish shoes on ebay. please do not outbid me.


i am a list-maker. it’s entwined with my dna. and let me tell you, this week has been sheer nirvana as i jot and revise lists for everything under the sun: packing, grandma watching our current four, pre-trip tasks, contents for our littlest’s photo book, donations, immunizations. i’m near the point of needing lists of my lists, whereby i will promptly float off on a cloud of happy.





i am dreadfully behind on all forms of correspondence. if i owe you a phone call, email, fb message, or if i haven’t popped in at your space since caesar augustus had his day, please kindly bear with me. i will, in fact, get this carnival running smoothly. probably. perhaps. there’s like a one in three chance.



till next week,
n.

21 comments:

lulu and family said...

wonderful anticipation in the air! and share ANY photos you want/have. they regularly make me ooh and aah. my, that cherry tree. and really happy for you and your family. praying.

autumn's dizzy thoughts said...

i hope to be joining in your list-making, trip planning flurry any day now...how exciting!!!
autumn

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

What would I do withoutcha?

Well, for one thing, I would continue to not give the humble lentil a fair consideration.

Also, my world would be a bit less sparkly. Or maybe even a whole load less sparkly.

Katarina said...

So many gorgeous pics and thoughts, as usual. Beautiful light!:)
Have a great trip:))

Rob said...

So happy and excited for your trip to bring your little home...and you didn't miss a thing...cold and rainy both yesterday and today, and most the vendors left town early. Don't get too overwhelmed... I Peter 5:7

Andrea said...

i'm in love. with your blog. your photos. your writing. your jewelry. so pretty much...everything. and lentils? yes please.

Ostriches Look Funny said...

GAH! I'm so excited!
And, um, very jealous about the chocolate...but not the lentils.

My wardrobe is in a similar state of unprofessionalism. Guess what I'm wearing right now? It's 2 p.m. and I'm wearing an adorable tank top with purple flowers on it, and my blue and navy blue and green striped and polka dot pj bottoms. I'm half dressed and a walking explosion of patterns.
Don't come to me for court date fashion advice.

happygirl said...

I never knew cherry blossoms smelled liked skunks. I Love your new header. I think you may take the prettiest pics of anyone on my blog roll. Love your blog.

Laurie said...

I really enjoy your photography...just beautiful. It's like a mini vacation for me. Safe travels.

Joybird said...

goodness, I can't believe it is finally almost here. Less than one month and he will be home in your arms. Makes me wanna shake, rattle and roll with the sheer exquisite joy of it all. Nic... yay! YAY!

Kelli said...

I just came across your blog via linkies from other blogs...
Love your photos and voice.
Your trip sounds exciting - and best of luck on the shoes.
:)

Kelli said...

Hello again - just read more of your blog, and I am thinking "your trip sounds exciting" doesn't even begin to cover it!
I can't wait to see photos of your little one...

Kendal said...

oh, nic. i just don't have words for this trip across the world to receive your child. about lentils i have words. i love them. the rest don't.

Samantha said...

Hi Nic, I have been reading your posts for a while now, and I LOVE that you are soon to welcome the pitter patter of your newest addition. Your excitement is palpable! Love it! Good luck and best regards :)

Eva said...

such beautiful photos! (i love lentils too).

http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

dixiebelle said...

Wonderful photos, as always, simply wonderful! Have a great trip...

TheUnSoccerMom said...

so, so, SO happy for you!!! :o)

LOVE the pictures... you bring a lot of beauty into my world. :o)

emily wierenga said...

oh nic such beautiful photos... extraordinary, sister. and i'm so excited about your trip!

{Amy} said...

these photos are absolutely gorgeous. wow. makes me want to just live inside them. can't wait to hear all about your journey--beyond exciting!

Rob said...

So happy and excited for your trip to bring your little home...and you didn't miss a thing...cold and rainy both yesterday and today, and most the vendors left town early. Don't get too overwhelmed... I Peter 5:7

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

What would I do withoutcha?

Well, for one thing, I would continue to not give the humble lentil a fair consideration.

Also, my world would be a bit less sparkly. Or maybe even a whole load less sparkly.