01 April 2011

april's hall pass.

[my brain grows slipperier by the week, thus the need to write stuff down in this non-losable scrap of space. it’s like a future hall pass to these particular bits of memory. ]


dear self,

as of april 2011, you want to remember the following:


if you grocery shop with elle in tow, no matter how fast you scoot past those greenish tanks, she will invariably ask for a pet lobster. [please continue to tell her no.]





zee’s fourth grade class is sending socks to japan to help clad the feet of students displaced by the earthquake and tsunami. late tuesday night you found a note he penciled to the child receiving his package, and it was cloaked in so much tenderness you had to pop your head into his room to smile at him.


you really need to figure out this wii thing. one of these days bee is going to stop needling you to play fifa soccer, and you will be sad.


em proclaimed sunday’s supper ‘the best pasta ever.’ and it was whole wheat. and it had highly visible spinach, even.


elle refers to this guy as a pineapple plant:

the almost pineapple plant

she’s pretty bummed when it turns into a lily every year.


you wake each day to a patient, funny husband, happy kids, a sturdy home. your friends and extended family double-knot your days with warmth, so that even in this puddle of yearning, you are rich.


don’t forget.

love, me.

17 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

what a wonderful idea... I must take your lead on this!

fifa soccer for the wii?? I must take a look at that! :o)

Angel said...

oh, simply beautiful, loved reading this

Jenn said...

p.s.

you are an amazing mom. and many are thankful for your friendship!

Ostriches Look Funny said...

I LOVE IT! That's the great thing about blogs, last summer is just a click away, and it's amazing what you forget.
precious, precious things need to be recorded!

Bonnie Widmaier said...

lovely, you are such a beautiful writer

Raechel said...

Love this. You are so good to write these reminders to yourself. Make me think of all the important things I want to remember from this time too.

ps- I just failed my first attempt at the word verification. Do you know what failing a test - even as inconsequential as a spam filter - does to this type-a girl's heart? Pressing on. But, I might be spam...

S. Etole said...

wonderful memories to hold on to.

Sheri said...

I so love your post. Thanks for sharing :)

{jennyhoke}photography said...

Love this.

Jenny said...

I'm sorry, Nic. I didn't realize I was signed in under my other acct. Still love this, though. :)

Rebekah said...

yes you are rich... and I'd like to see what would happen if you did bring home a pet lobster, perhaps of the stuffed animal variety :)

love said...

mmmm...i need to write myself one of these. [every month.]

you are a treasure, my friend!

abbey bernardi said...

i love writing letters to myself. i'm glad i'm not the only one : ) beautiful

lulu and family said...

=)

abbey bernardi said...

i love writing letters to myself. i'm glad i'm not the only one : ) beautiful

{jennyhoke}photography said...

Love this.

S. Etole said...

wonderful memories to hold on to.