14 March 2011

still.



it’s strange to wake up in a world where tens of thousands are newly missing but my house looks its usual organized clutter and my children are all accounted for crunching cereal around the breakfast table, everything in its place.

shouldn’t we see evidence of anguish, even here?

but my coffee tastes like sorrow and our thoughts wear a blanket of stillness for so much loss and i cannot spare the world its suffering but we can hold out what comfort we know to a few families who (were it not for the shell shock) look every bit like ours.

God, show up, please. show up through us.


picking up with the gratitude list, #s 93-101

hope still
a sack of potatoes
purple optimism springing up as crocuses
renewed potential of a court date each weekday morning
friends who scaffold my heart
truth spoken from a sunday pulpit
m’s wiggly teeth
God in us
faces i love gathered late in our living room



12 comments:

Bless by Tone said...

i know - it's so hard to understand how my girls can play and laugh in the living room - and think of all those people suffering on the other side of the world - my sister-in-law is from japan - they are all safe, though, Tone

TheUnSoccerMom said...

on days when things just aren't going my way... I feel guilty b/c I know there are people out there who are having a much harder time than me. So, I say a prayer for them, who ever they may be... and this weekend, I have been sending prayers to Japan...

Farmgirl Paints said...

so true! i keep looking around me too at the normal-ness and thinking it's not right when the so much of the rest of the world is in upheaval. makes my brain hurt.

Kimberly said...

Such a study in contrasts...it's hard to believe both can inhabit the same world at once without shattering it somehow.

I guess, inside, we are shattered in a way.

Ostriches Look Funny said...

"my coffee tastes like sorrow"...mine too. I know, I know. You wrote what I was thinking...but I didn't know how to say it.

Sandra Heska King said...

P.S. I've just skimmed through your blog. Your photos are stunning! I could learn things here. :)

S. Etole said...

here via Sandra ... you have a beautiful blog

lulu and family said...

thankful for your words. you expressed the strange reality so well in light of the suffering in and around japan. god, please show up through us. thanks, nic.

Joybird said...

Love on them for me. I don't know anyone directly effected. It has been on my heart though. I've been especially moved to pray for those working to stem the danger in the nuclear reactors. Those men and women are risking their lives for many. I'm praying for their protection and for their families.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I, too, wonder how my life can look the same as ever --- my lights come on, my water runs, I have food, I flush my toilet, and I have clean laundry. My life looks the same. It shouldn't! Somehow, expressions of my thankfulness should be heard from the rooftops. Thank you for the reminder that I need to pray more, thank more, see more, and cry more.

paperbird said...

beautiful heartfelt words!

Karen Siddiqi said...

I know this post is about so much more, but I keep meaning to say...Elle might just have the most beautiful eyes EVER :)