17 March 2011

on patches and pie.

‘tis a well-sung chorus, how boys are merciless on their clothes (most notably the knees of jeans—can i get a witness?), but let it be known that my girl gives her brothers a run for their money.

let’s just skip the downsides to being The Resident Patcher and get to this part: the upside of patching elle’s jeans in particular is that in addition to the necessary interior patches, i get to stitch on bright scraps of florals on the actual outside legs. the boys, go figure, are not so keen on my decorative inclinations.

so today we went from shredded blues:

holey.



to kitschy-fun patches:

freshly patched.

(you cannot really tell from the waist down, but this here is a Reluctant Model. i grabbed her on her way out to ride bikes, and she was rather sore at the fifty-second detainment.)


i just love it when thrifty and cute collide.



ps also? i’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that this book?

my undoing.

is probably not the best thing to borrow from the library during lent. just sayin’.

13 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

Great patching job! And the book interests me, too, as I am an enthusiastic baker of bread, cake, and cookies, but I have never baked a pie. (I feel very intimidated by crust.)

If you're looking for a delicious fictional morsel, I highly recommend _The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake_ by Aimee Bender. Lmk if you read it so that we can talky-talk about it!

Jenn said...

She has the cutest little legs this side of TX for sure :) I just bought one of mine some jeans like that from the store...wish I had just dug out a pair from the mending pile and patched them myself now. And in all honesty...I own the "worst jean knees" in our house from all the kneeling to change diapers and picking up crumbs ;)

Paige said...

I'm a pie baking wanna be! I should buy the book and display it on the counter.

Katarina said...

Love the patches on jeans!!!So cute!!!You should see my son's pants, they are all patched and re-patched, due to his animal acting activities;)
Thank you so much for your kindest comments on my blog, you always touch my heart to tears;)
Lots of love;)))

happygirl said...

Your patching reminds me SO much of my middle school years WAAAY back in the late '60s. I had a couple pair of jeans so patched and embroidered one could barely see the denim material. LOVED THEM. and I LOVE PIE. Thank you.

TheUnSoccerMom said...

I so wish I had sewing inclinations when Christen was little... She couldn't keep a new pair jeans "hole free" for more than two weeks.

Love the patches! They are SO cute! :o)

I'm about to google the book now!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

Oh, dear. That book. Don't you know how much I do NOT need a good book to read right now??? Ah well, it is pie, after all. I can always find room for some pie.

Also: I bought Ruby a much-needed pair of jeans for Christmas. They already have a hole through one knee and are high-waters. I'm thinking patchy capris???

Kimberly said...

Adorable!

And now...I want pie. Hrmm.

Farmgirl Paints said...

ha! you are so funny. i love pie. i love anything remotely sweet. i won't be checking that out anytime soon;)

Ostriches Look Funny said...

Those pants are ADORABLE. when my mom would patch mine, she just used the denim whatevers. I was not cool.

But, my mom is not crafty. She's super clean though, and sometimes I wonder if that wouldn't be a better quality. Your patchy jeans make me proud to be a creative type again. I'll do the dishes tomorrow, and hopefully I'll dream about fun pants and patchwork.

Jorth! said...

Just scored last week for Grumbles on the jeans front: new jeans from Fred Bare with double reinforced knees. Hoorah!

(Because, seriously - if I threw Grumbles into the 'ruin jeans quicker than you can say boo comp' then she may just win!)

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Love those patches!!

Steph

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Love those patches!!

Steph