27 February 2011

sickish, plus marshmallow snow.

mittens? check.

‘tis a fantastical thing, how one can go from feeling Perfectly Splendid to sniveling and feverish in the space of a day. my throat’s hacked raw, my chest aches when i breathe, and i’m pretty sure a piece of lung flies loose each time i sneeze. it appears i’m falling apart at the seams (and possibly suffering a case of acute melodrama, but i don’t imagine a cure exists for that.)

nevertheless. i have bunches of photos from friday to share with you (from a healthy distance) before they become stale and crumb up my hard drive, so here we go.

marshmallow bushes.

friday marked yet another snow day for the littles. while i suspect we shall all be quite sad to find ourselves still subjected to education come june, that day is distant in a way that feels like it may never materialize, so it didn't keep us from an altogether lovely time.











the kids spent hours tramping veined paths through the drifts out back, packing wet battlements, batting with snowballs and a stick. i hammered and polished and sewed and watched them through the window, sticking my head out the sunroom door every now and then to offer up pearls of wisdom like, ‘pelting the house with snowballs is a great way to break a window. let’s pick a different target, shall we?’

the small folk warmed up with hot chocolate and (of course) soup and cinnamon-sweet friendship bread. ramona and beezus bickered and twirled on the screen, while we burrowed in blankets all around.



then i took ill and slept forever and recited shel silverstein's sick to elle, who found it roundly hilarious. i love that kid.

right now, as crazy-weatherness would have it, 'tis some fifty degrees with torrential rains and an electrical storm rolling in. i am off to search out a blanket and some honey tea (and possibly a new set of lungs). g'night, dears.

10 comments:

happygirl said...

Please take care of yourself. (as best as you can) Spring is just around the corner. I'll say the mom stuff: drink water, stay warm, sleep well. soup soup soup....

Thanks for the pics. So beautiful.

Ostriches Look Funny said...

Oh feel better. I think I had that last weekend. I was in bed and miserable, so I sympathize.

Shel is my boyfriend. Sometimes.

I would like some soup and cinnamon bread. So yum. Every time I visit lately I leave with a hankering for soup.

fleetfeet said...

I hope you are feeling better. I think I had something similar early last week.

Shel Silverstein's "Sick" is one of my faves, too. Funny how some of those rhymes hang out in your subconscious and rear back in adulthood...

I wish my kids would eat soup.

Karen Siddiqi said...

I'm 32 years old with no kids yet, but I can still recite "Sick" nearly in it's entirety - such a fun poem :).

kendal said...

shoot. sorry you're sick. and i visited my girl yesterday and she showed me the doll you made for her. nic - it looks like her! she loves it and will probably send you a note.

Jennifer Shults said...

I'm sad to hear you are under the weather. your photos are stunning though. we had a snow day on friday as well. i think we are up to 10 for the year... more than we've ever had. we have a bit of a shortened spring break this year instead of going into june... i'm very thankful for that. :)

Rebekah said...

hope you feel better quickly...

Ruthie said...

Your photos almost make me love snow. Almost.

Kimberly said...

May the winds of sweet health stir up that beautiful snow and set it dancing around your happy, healthy selves.

lulu and family said...

love that one-berry-seed-hanging-on-for-dear-life shot. those yuckies you are describing are so painful. i hope you are feeling much, much, so muchly, much more better by now (from dr. seuss with the girls today)!