22 February 2011

extreme measures.

i think a certain groundhog was maybe just kidding about spring.

icy3

icy1b

icy13b

we went from all-day rain to ice to snow, a winning combination also known as wintry mix. wintry mix is general code for It's Time to Take Extreme Measures, and so i did: i made soup. although actually, those are Normal Measures around here, to which the mister and kiddos will attest (likely with a gratuitous eye roll at being served the stuff 2-3 times per week).

what can i say.

soup is healthy(ish), economical savory-warmth that nourishes one down to one’s very bones. pair a piquant bowl with slabs of sourdough, and truly: what’s not to love?

chipotle1

soup du yesterday: chipotle chicken chowder. ‘twas fantastic, i tell you, though please be advised that it’s a bit on the spicy side, especially if you overrule the recipe and add extra chipotle-adobo sauce while forgoing the cream altogether. my bad.

the middle two progeny gobbled it straight up, but the older and younger found it a tad too zesty for their liking. (also, normally? eating what mom just spent seventy-five minutes lovingly preparing for you is non-optional. but when a dish is liable to set small mouths on fire, i do allow for a pb sandwich.)

chipotle2
(the cilantro was having a hard day. please forgive its wiltiness.)

next on my soup-roll: chicken corn chowder. i may have to explore the origins of my sudden mania for chicken chowders. (was i harassed by a rooster at a young age? do i have a thing for the /ch/ digraph? ‘tis a mystery, this one.)

in any case, happy souping to you. and if you feel so inclined, please leave me a note about your favorite soup so i can add it to my line-up. i'll let it jump the queue if it starts with ch.

16 comments:

happygirl said...

My favorite soup. Italian Wedding Soup. No ch/ nuts. Fourty tiny meatballs (I use pork sausage spiced up with garlic and fennel seed, of course breadcrumbs and egg) I make these ahead in the oven and drain off fat. The soup is chicken stock (homemade or canned), one onion chopped small, celery chopped small, carrots chopped small and kale or spinach or any green chopped. After heated through add meatballs and orzo pasta. So good.

I love your pictures. I think ice on the twigs is so pretty, but I hear you about the weather and winter. I'm done.

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

I love soup. Of all varieties. Yours looks delish. I fear you've already seen all of my faves on the blog... So I won't bore you with the details.

Jennifer Shults said...

These are delicious. I'm going to have to see if I can convince the husband that he like more than just baked potato soup... which isn't all that bad either. ;) Gorgeous photos hon!

E. Lehman said...

it was soup (potato) for us yesterday too in our world of wintry mix. and while i think i am very close to over this season for the year i know i will miss such things as this come summer!

Raechel said...

I (with my whole family) have been loving the Food Network's Gnocchi Nicoise lately (pretty easy to find in their search). I made an enormous batch for our supper swap a week or so ago. Had to squeeze it in before the weather warmed up too much.

Sending warm weather vibes your way!

Kimberly said...

I had Southwestern Chicken Soup for lunch yesterday. Oh. My. YUM. I could live on nothing but soup and bread. And possible cheese...

Ostriches Look Funny said...

okay so The Coop Keeper shared this little gem with me: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000231620
and it's delish.
Happy Souping!

kendal said...

well....we seem to have reached spring here. which means soup might be over. but that chipotle. sounds terrific.

and i think you are awesome. really.

michelle b @ every little thing said...

this soup looks positively to die for! yum!! and yes, it`s a chilly february!! beautiful photos none the less!

stop by my blog for a little CSN Stores retail therapy giveaway if you get the chance this week!!

Carolyn said...

Nic-
I'm on a quiche kick myself (mostly due to the abundance of eggs my CHickens are popping out recently) but have a yummy soup from allrecipies.com you might want to CHeck out. Slow Cooker CHicken Taco Soup. Bundle up-keep warm & eat soup:)

Kindra said...

Our house had soup for dinner yesterday too...which since Seth is gone & Brandt seems to have a soup phobia, really just means that I ate a lot of soup. And it was pretty gosh dern good! I made some cheesy potato soup, mainly because the potatoes were growing some scary eyes & I was beginning to feel as if they were watching me so I had to show them what's up!

But my faves are white chicken chili (does that count as 'soup'?), chicken tortilla & anything that begins with cheesy...bonus points, right?

mahina said...

Yum! Gotta love chipotle flavored stuff. Except I don't put much chipotle/other spicy things in foods since my mouth's weak when it comes to that type of food. :) Pretty photos also.

mahina said...

Yum! Gotta love chipotle flavored stuff. Except I don't put much chipotle/other spicy things in foods since my mouth's weak when it comes to that type of food. :) Pretty photos also.

michelle b @ every little thin said...

this soup looks positively to die for! yum!! and yes, it`s a chilly february!! beautiful photos none the less!

stop by my blog for a little CSN Stores retail therapy giveaway if you get the chance this week!!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

I love soup. Of all varieties. Yours looks delish. I fear you've already seen all of my faves on the blog... So I won't bore you with the details.

Ostriches Look Funny said...

okay so The Coop Keeper shared this little gem with me: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000231620
and it's delish.
Happy Souping!