1. view people through a lens of tenderness. operate under the assumption that the harder it is to love someone, the larger their need to be loved.
2. learn the fine art of chess so that when my ten year old asks to play, i can stop saying i don’t remember how and start saying bring it on. and then promptly lose.
3. study the bible cover to cover. sure, i've read it through (i am, on occasion, a self-respecting pastor's kid), but studying is an entirely different beast. i want to burrow into the passages until the words flood my veins and fuel my impulses.
turn my eyes from worthless things, and give me life through your word (psalm 119.37).
just in case anyone's interested in a similar endeavor, i'm following brook hill's reading plan from last year (which has the added bonus of a year's worth of corresponding sermons to keep me on track).
4. be the sort of mom who says yes more.
4a. i reckon much of the time not on your life is a more appropriate answer, but if it won't ruin anyone's character, stain the carpet, or blow up the garage, why not?
4b. but seriously. i want to check my responses to ensure i am answering according to my kiddos' best interests, and not according to my convenience.
5. go to bed earlier. i have, at various points in my life, been either an early bird or a night owl, but i have never managed both simultaneously with any measure of success.
i'm aiming for reasonable-bird status: hit the sack at 10:30, up at 6:30. we'll see.
6. champion the people around me.
elle does this well, without even knowing it.
this here is the hippo she bought with her hard-earned allowance, a present for her soon to be little brother. she was sad that he was missing christmas with us, and wanted him to have a gift: something soft to hold when he arrives and everything is scary and new.
7. instigate joy whenever possible.
7a. smile often-like.
7b. send out parcels in the mail. few sights top that of a box of happy little things sitting on one's porch.
7c. use my words to bolster and build.
the all-knowing they say that to establish a habit, one needs to do something daily for a string of twenty one days. so really, if i just make it to the end of january, i'm set. :)
On Frogs and Living
11 hours ago