03 January 2011

goings-on at chez owens.




1. like much of north america, we rang in 2011 with downright balmy weather. and even though we are now back to our regularly scheduled winter, i'm happy to report that elle and i carpe diemed some quality swinging time in the middle of all that warmth. (she donned a coat out of habit, but i was in mere fleece, which is Saying Something.)





2. the progeny and i spent new year's day icing sugar cookies and making a crusty-sweet mess.











(recipe for both the cookies and royal icing here.)



3. my socks were rocked off sideways this past week when hello, snow popped up at story bleed, and my paper fortune cookie tute made a guest appearance at the lettered cottage.

i must say, i am not easily given to dances of sockless glee, but the occasion clearly merited a hearty jig.







4. even though she tends to be the bittiest thing in any given crowd, elle is apparently growing. who knew? most of her church dresses are creeping toward the awkwardly small stage, so i've started up a couple new ones. [if they end up even marginally bonny, i shall post them here. if not, i'll conveniently forget i mentioned them, and you all shall hopefully play along.]







5. few things quicken my pulse like a fresh stack of YA novels from the neighborhood 'brary.

january nudges me toward introspection, and so i'm sitting here, trying to analyze why i spend 99% of my time in the teen section and cannot seem to graduate into fully-fledged adult fiction. i'm not sure, but i think it has something to do with pacing and voice. these guys see me through daily slogs on the treadmill, so i need them to be technicolored and full-steam-ahead.

then again, i may just be incurably childish. the odds on this one are pretty good.





6. the past couple weeks have held quite a bit of painting. and crayoning and pasting and playing high-octane rounds of gang of four and bananagrams and pit.

in two short days, the kiddos will go back to being educated, but for now? we are squeezing out every last drop of this christmas vacation.


* * *


gratitude, #67-77

broken-in sweatshirts borrowed from the mister
my niece's baby-smell
muffins
kids with bedhead
french bread toasted crusty
the soft hum of rain breaking winter's silence
slippers
solid friends
a rowdy game of spoons
fresh beginnings
a week washed bright with grace

10 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

We also had an unusually warm New Years day.

I just started to learn to sew... hopefully, one day, I will graduate into making outfits/dresses. More than likely, by then, my daughter will be old enough to give me grandchildren to make those outfits for!

enjoy the last few days of Christmas vacation! :o)

Shan Van said...

Those cookies are too beautiful to eat! :) Ps. Just read your bio and I love Hillsong and David Crowder too!

Laura said...

What sweet cookies! I hope you had a wonderful New Year!

Rebekah said...

The colors of the dress are pretty - I'm sure it will turn out far better than you're giving yourself credit for :)

I just read The Bean Trees - not a JF section read by any means but small enough to finish easily - have you read that one? I just came home with a stack of new reads from the library today myself - ahhhh January!

emily wierenga said...

there is so.much.beauty in your life.

it's a holy thing.

i could eat this post up. i could eat those cookies up too. they look absolutely scrumptious.

abbey bernardi said...

pretty cookies : )

your gratitude list is a beautiful mesh of simplicity and perfection

ps
my husband read your comment
and said "so who is this nic guy who thinks you're smokin hot??"
LOL love it!!!!!

Kimberly said...

There's nothing quite like a dose of Nic to brighten my day. Lovely as always.

And I'm a YA addict too. I think it's the voice of those books...so raw and emotional and intense. There's something in that that I admire as well as enjoy.

lulu and family said...

a week washed bright with grace

ahhhh. beautiful. and so happy for your appearance at the lettered cottage! yay! so fun! and you do have some great tutorials! i am particularly fond of the snowflake one, as our home is covered with them now.=)

emily wierenga said...

there is so.much.beauty in your life.

it's a holy thing.

i could eat this post up. i could eat those cookies up too. they look absolutely scrumptious.

Shan Van said...

Those cookies are too beautiful to eat! :) Ps. Just read your bio and I love Hillsong and David Crowder too!