1. like much of north america, we rang in 2011 with downright balmy weather. and even though we are now back to our regularly scheduled winter, i'm happy to report that elle and i carpe diemed some quality swinging time in the middle of all that warmth. (she donned a coat out of habit, but i was in mere fleece, which is Saying Something.)
2. the progeny and i spent new year's day icing sugar cookies and making a crusty-sweet mess.
(recipe for both the cookies and royal icing here.)
i must say, i am not easily given to dances of sockless glee, but the occasion clearly merited a hearty jig.
4. even though she tends to be the bittiest thing in any given crowd, elle is apparently growing. who knew? most of her church dresses are creeping toward the awkwardly small stage, so i've started up a couple new ones. [if they end up even marginally bonny, i shall post them here. if not, i'll conveniently forget i mentioned them, and you all shall hopefully play along.]
5. few things quicken my pulse like a fresh stack of YA novels from the neighborhood 'brary.
january nudges me toward introspection, and so i'm sitting here, trying to analyze why i spend 99% of my time in the teen section and cannot seem to graduate into fully-fledged adult fiction. i'm not sure, but i think it has something to do with pacing and voice. these guys see me through daily slogs on the treadmill, so i need them to be technicolored and full-steam-ahead.
then again, i may just be incurably childish. the odds on this one are pretty good.
6. the past couple weeks have held quite a bit of painting. and crayoning and pasting and playing high-octane rounds of gang of four and bananagrams and pit.
in two short days, the kiddos will go back to being educated, but for now? we are squeezing out every last drop of this christmas vacation.
* * *
broken-in sweatshirts borrowed from the mister my niece's baby-smell muffins kids with bedhead french bread toasted crusty the soft hum of rain breaking winter's silence slippers solid friends a rowdy game of spoons fresh beginnings a week washed bright with grace