08 October 2010

six.



six years ago yesterday, i was exhausted and cold and the doctor was saying you have a girl and i was thinking: who is she talking to? because i didn't have girls, i had boys, a long string of beautiful silly boys.

but there you were, pink and squalling that newborn mewl, fists and feet treading air beneath a warming lamp.

a girl.

and so i learned a new language, she and her and daughter. i learned dresses and pigtails and ruffled tights, but i confess that some days it's still such a mystery to me.









six seems too small a word to explain you, to contain your exuberance and pluck. six doesn't hold that belly giggle, or your penchant for digging up earthworms and christening each one with a male name.

you are noisy and joyful and bubbling with songs and twirlish dancing. you are the slow-pokiest kid with socks and brushing teeth. you clamor for a good book. you adore everyone you meet.









you are bossy and magnetic and compassionate and every bit a child after my heart. you are my girl.

happy birthday, elle.

10 comments:

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

A beautiful tribute she will read again and again. Imagine her 16 year old self learning who she was to you today. A true birthday gift.
Dana

Jenn said...

she's a beauty and it is so fun to see you cherish your time with her. she has a wonderful example of beauty right there with her every day. happy b-day L...spin yourself crazy!

Farmgirl Paints said...

those are so good nic. she's a doll. i sure do love my girls. they teach me something everyday;)

Vonda said...

Happy Birthday Elle, and many more to come. You are beautiful!!!!

Ostriches Look Funny said...

this is just the sweetest post. I have two boys and I want the third to be a girl, but I'll settle for the fourth..as long as I get my girl.
I think your writing is delicious. Have I told you that?

emily wierenga said...

i am going to cry...

how lovely she is.

and how you love her...

and how i hope for a daughter one day...

jorth said...

Happy birthday to the most beautiful girl in the northern hemisphere.

And a happy day of celebration to her wonderful mum!

lulu and family said...

thanks so much for sharing. happy birthday to your girl!

LEAH said...

This is one of the most beautifully written tributes to your baby girl...it's been awhile since I've stopped by...and so glad I did. What a lucky little girl she is to have you for a mama...and so blessed you are.

LEAH said...

This is one of the most beautifully written tributes to your baby girl...it's been awhile since I've stopped by...and so glad I did. What a lucky little girl she is to have you for a mama...and so blessed you are.