nevertheless. my belated list of thankfuls, continued:
6. the mournful bleating of a late-summer cricket.
7. butterscotch dip paired with wedges of crisp apples.
8. books with language you can lose yourself in.
9. woolen socks. (and these would be theoretical woolen socks. i do not own any, but i like the idea of them: sturdy, humble, warm.)
10. peppermint toothpaste.
11. the peace of solitary mornings.
12. the peace of jumbled, noisy afternoons.
13. letters in the mail. (and the miracle of postal systems that deliver missives from across the globe to my very front door. or, okay, very end of my driveway. but that distance is manageable.)
14. brothers who don’t outgrow me.
15. lambent japanese anemones under a grey swath of sky.
16. the smell of september, laced with moss and peat and woodsmoke.
17. friends with beautiful feet.
18. second chances.
20. a God who bleeds and sustains.