31 August 2010

backyard ball.




dusk settles on our shoulders, cloaking the earth with thick, cool air.





the kids scramble after their father and a leather ball, giggling from deep inside their bellies. to them he is a giant, mythic, indestructible.


backyard ball.


their steps crunch the august grass and stir up swarms of buzzing things, bright in the leftover sunlight.

and my heart catches on this scene, the way my husband jostles for position, laughs, talks smack, the way he relishes this game and this evening and this moment flanked by smallish people every bit as much as they do.


fast break

he's a good man, this husband of mine. my heart spills over.




* * *

More everyday miracles at emily's.

16 comments:

Jen Bontrager said...

Sweet. There's not much that makes me happier than seeing my boys have fun with their daddy.
Hey- what's the name of that outdoor game where you try to hit red cups with frisbees? I tried finding it on your blog, but came up empty-handed. We're camping with friends this weekend and I thought they'd get a kick out of it.

Farmgirl Paints said...

you just captured it...I can almost hear the buzzing bugs:) very sweet post.

emily wierenga said...

my heart snagged on your post. well done.

Ostriches Look Funny said...

I love this about boys and their fathers...how fathers are giant and mythic. I'm glad you put it into words for me.

Wendy said...

nic.... I love your poignant and lyrical words. I too love to watch my husband playing with our boys... they are all so happy!

Brooke G. said...

I love it, love it, love it. Your yard looks like mine a lot of the time and your hubby, just like mine... enjoying the kiddos MORE than they are enjoying him. Thank the heavens for husbands...scratch that... for DADS!!!!

Wandering On Purpose said...

This makes me smile.

tara said...

i just love this. (and especially the top photo.)

the lady of the house said...

I sure LOVE to see my boys playing with our boys. LOVE LOVE

Great pics, The Lady of the House

Julie said...

Such beautiful thoughts & pictures...

Southern Gal said...

Fathers and their children. Love this.

deb said...

as someone who has a good man as well,
these are the very best of moments. the very best.

The Frat Pack + Me said...

I simply adore this post. It reminds me so much of my husband + our boys...even though our boys are now teens. You put it so very eloquently!

Southern Gal said...

Fathers and their children. Love this.

the lady of the house said...

I sure LOVE to see my boys playing with our boys. LOVE LOVE

Great pics, The Lady of the House

Farmgirl Paints said...

you just captured it...I can almost hear the buzzing bugs:) very sweet post.