26 July 2010

ten.

seems every time i blink, time has stretched you yet again, from the smallish child who roared at ladybugs and happily scampered after his brother, to this lanky, self-assured boy of mine, wearing a decade of wisdom on your narrow frame.

zee

you pin your heart to your sleeve, are quick to laugh, stride the hallways at school as if you own the place. you are clever and animated and can argue with an ardency that confirms you are my child.

ten.

studying you, it’s easy to recognize the shape of my eyes, your father’s narrow toes and unending lashes, or the grain of my hair, thick and arrow-straight. but tripping on the heels of that thought comes the realization that none of this matters. what i hope for instead is that you'll resemble Him.

the birthday kid.

i hope God’s tenderness floods your veins. i hope your words and movement are rooted in kindness, your cognition tethered with humility. i hope you joyfully give the glittering things of now to love other people, that you live for the delight of a King who frames all time.

well it's almost a smile

happy birthday, zee. you make my heart sing.

10 comments:

JoAnn said...

My son still roars at ladybugs. Really. Sweet post, I hope for the same things.

emily wierenga said...

he is so beautiful.

and yes, i cry, thinking of how much i long for my son to represent his Father. xo

Alisa Greig said...

sweetest post ever :)

Farmgirl Paints said...

My oldest is ten too. Where in the world did those years go? Happy b-day to your Zee.

momma rae said...

gorgeous photos! happy birthday to your sweet boy and happy birth day to you, mama. ;)

Kimberly said...

You bring him to life with your words, and your hopes echo my own for my children. So beautiful.

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

I just heard today about C's "best friends", Zee and Em. He is beyond smitten, and I couldn't be happier.

Happy birthday to this boy of yours. Your words ring ever true.

lulu and family said...

did he get to read your words?=) beautifully put, nicole. happy birthday, zee.=)

lulu and family said...

did he get to read your words?=) beautifully put, nicole. happy birthday, zee.=)

Alisa Greig said...

sweetest post ever :)