20 July 2010

cabining.

fishin' and hopin'

most summers find us camping, sometimes with friends, sometimes just our crew of six (soon to be seven! yee!). usually camping means a trusty tent and some trees and a hammock and a tricksy campfire and fifty-six spiders.

this weekend, however, we upgraded.

camp2

friends of ours have relatives with a passel of woods, in which they plunked down several cabins and picnic benches, a sandbox and swings and a fishing pond. our cabin was spacious and furnished and stocked with books, old fashioned games, and cozy stacks of blankets and quilts. what it lacked in electricity it made up for in a propane fridge and stove and lamps.

i felt like a traitor to the camping world. an enthusiastic, delighted traitor.

camp1

so we 'camped.' and we fished. and played cards and swatted buzzing things and roasted cookie s'mores. and as if all that goodness wasn't sweet enough, we got to meet up with the renowned flower patch farm girl and her CMB. we brushed shoulders in college, but became friends much later, once i read her blog and realized that this girl? knocks my stripey socks off.

[her little gal was ill, and her youngest tucked at home in bed, both in the care of grandma, but i did get to meet mr calvin, who is a fish-whisperer. he casts his line and the trout and catfish queue up to swallow his hook. it's uncanny.]

our time together was short but lovely. a microcosm of the weekend, really.

marbles in a glass salt box.

so today, i'm unwrapping the gift of simple, happy weekends, of a campfire circled by people so dear to me.

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

19 comments:

linda said...

A great weekend to unwrap.

Lo said...

I love your photos.
very beautiful

emily wierenga said...

i am jealous you got to meet her. she knocks my striped socks off too. :) i hope you might join up with my imperfect prose community on thursdays... it's starting this week. your writing soars, sings poetry. i love it.

Wendy said...

nic... that sounds like a wonderful weekend. Hooray for cabining!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

For as long as I know you, I will never stop marveling at all that you are.

Brooke G. said...

Oh my!
That looks A-MAZING :D
Great memories were made, I am sure.

amanda said...

it sounds like a perfectly divine way to spend the weekend!

deb said...

Thank you.
Really, you gift . I don't even now what to add.
The imagery is phenomenal, words, photos, sentiment.

Laura said...

What a beautiful post and a wonderful camping trip!

Farmgirl Paints said...

So glad that I found you. I marvel at your pics and your poetic way of speaking lulls me. Does that make sense?:) Shannan is one of my all-time favorite people. I so wish I could have been there to have met the both of you. Not sleeping in a tent would have been the bomb too;)

Jessica Morris said...

Aww - so fun!
Sounds like a fabulous upgrade!! :)

sarah said...

such a relaxing and adventurous weekend. i love these trips more than the "activitied out", cram it all in kind of vacations....if that's what you would call it.

can't wait to meet the newest 10 piggies!

Alita- Da Mainiacs said...

I like that kind of upgrade. I'm a camper myself, but after this years camping trip... I'm truly jealous of your unwrapped treasure. :)

Great shots by the way!

Southern Gal said...

My kind of camping! Love the pictures you took to document it all.

Saw you on FPFG's blog. Small bloggy world, isn't it?

JoAnn said...

FPFG is super fun on paper. How nice you got to see her real super fun side!
Nice marbles.

JoAnn said...

FPFG is super fun on paper. How nice you got to see her real super fun side!
Nice marbles.

Alita- Da Mainiacs said...

I like that kind of upgrade. I'm a camper myself, but after this years camping trip... I'm truly jealous of your unwrapped treasure. :)

Great shots by the way!

Jessica Morris said...

Aww - so fun!
Sounds like a fabulous upgrade!! :)

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

For as long as I know you, I will never stop marveling at all that you are.