08 June 2010

travels.

no big summer trips planned for our brood.

but we do sometimes wander to the end of the road past our road, pausing to gather the sparkliest rocks or catch bits of cotton suspended in air honeyed with late evening sun.

7june5

7june3

quiet things grow there, a field of young green (past the brush) that is not soybeans and is not corn. we'll have to keep checking back to find out what it becomes.

7june8b


sometimes we journey to far-off places on the pages of our morning work. (to the moon, in this case, where there are laser-wielding aliens to be battled and astronauts to aid.)

7june1

7june2


at other times, bits of wonder travel to us in the form of thoughtful gifts:

babette1

(are you not in love with this packaging? the delicate smattering of stars, the 'hello, shouldn't you wear this now?')

internet, meet my new earrings (14k goldfill + 1950's venetian lampwork beads). these beauties came from the lovely geeta, famous for her leather blooms and delicate metalwork. geeta is a london-transplant and an inspired designer and also my friend.

babette2


but truth be told, even when we do voyage to exotic climes, the verybest of our summer adventures inevitably take place here

lnm7

in the green and the shade of our very own backyard, where dogs scale tricksy heights and ride on tire swings

lnm11

lnm9

lnm10

lnm8

(and where we build forts and play world cup tournaments and gather worms and dance in the sprinklers).

some would say we are missing out, my children are missing out, but i think not. i'd surmise that cultivating the ability to find wonder in everyday spaces will yield a lifetime of adventure.

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

14 comments:

JoAnn said...

mmmm summer. Sparkly rocks and moon battles with a dash of green thrown in. Me likey!

Karli said...

Another gorgeous post! Do you mind my asking what type of processing you do on those last pictures of your daughter? As I've read your blog, that looks like your "style" and I absolutely adore it! It's almost as if I can't tell if it has been processed or not. But there's something about it... I just LOVE that look!

MP said...

"i'd surmise that cultivating the ability to find wonder in everyday spaces will yield a lifetime of adventure."

This is such a beautiful and wonderful gift you are giving your children.
Lovely! As always.

Phyllis said...

Children are the best thing to bring out the appreciation of the wonder of the everyday. Everything is new and wonderful to them. Let us always keep that sense of wonder.
-Phyllis

Erin said...

This is my first time visiting here and I am in love with your writing, your pictures, your perspective...

Thank you for stopping by my post and I will be back often!

Kimberly said...

I yearn for that kind of summer. We have one trip planned and while I know it will be an adventure, I'm secretly scared it will be a scary one. I would rather explore our yard and the end of the road.

Wendy said...

I think you are right on the dot....perfectly true. I love your post...as always!

Southern Gal said...

And you would be so right.

That has got to be the best tire for a tire swing I have ever seen!

Brooke G. said...

that last sentence is GENIUS. Aptly put and so very TRUE :D

Oh yeah, and the shots are AMAZING!

Geeta/Babette said...

Dear nic-
so glad you liked your earrings! thanks for being the 1st to join my FB page. i love the pictures you took of them!

everytime i get a chance to read your blog, i feel transported to somewhere peaceful, perfect & full of wonder for the little things in life. i love your blog- your writing- and your pictures that perfectly compliment your words.

emily said...

That notebook with the double spaced printed lines brought back so many story-writing memories for me. What a lovely shot. . . all of them!

deb said...

I so so agree.
you see with such a grateful and light filled soul.

Geeta/Babette said...

Dear nic-
so glad you liked your earrings! thanks for being the 1st to join my FB page. i love the pictures you took of them!

everytime i get a chance to read your blog, i feel transported to somewhere peaceful, perfect & full of wonder for the little things in life. i love your blog- your writing- and your pictures that perfectly compliment your words.

Erin said...

This is my first time visiting here and I am in love with your writing, your pictures, your perspective...

Thank you for stopping by my post and I will be back often!