06 May 2010

you capture: spring. and other, less-related happenings.

some of my favorite bits of spring are the ostrich ferns that catapult coils into the air, coils that fan and settle into broad plumes, enveloping the northeastern corner of our sunroom in a jungle of chartreuse.


unfurled2b


unfurled1b


they wave and tower and rustle against the screens, and i find secret pleasure in stealing away to that corner of new green to read for a few moments, or to sit and absorb their whisperings.

soon summer will scorch them into overgrown blighted prickly things, and i'll cut them back to the earth where they'll wait patiently, dreaming up next year's coils.



also, and completely unrelated to spring, my kid does this thing where she copies me. lately she arranges photoshoots, constructing a camera from legos, lining up her cortege of generic polly pocket dolls, snapping away.


photoshoot2


between frames, she'll offer bits of encouragement to her subjects: 'delightful!' and 'oh, that one was simply perfect!' (i find this behavior both amusing and terrifying. amusing because she wants to be just like me. terrifying because she wants to be just like me.)


photoshoot3


and then comes my very favorite part, when she draws up the photographs.


photo1


i never adequately understand or anticipate the workings of her mind, but kid-brain, i adore you.


Photobucket

22 comments:

Elaine A. said...

That first photo is just brilliant. So simple and yet so beautiful.

And your daughter's "photographs" are fantastic too! :D

shellycoulter said...

I love it! Nicely done.

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

"cortege"? Must look up.

Also, generic Polly Pockets? Where?!

Also again, Your Elle and my Cee would be quite a pair...

Photo Freak said...

NICE! I love that first one!

Lisa said...

Oooo..I especially love the first picture.

And your daughter, what an imagination! My son likes to take pictures too, but he wants to use a real camera!

ohabbyreally said...

I love, love, love the first picture of the fern. Just beautiful!

Regina Lynn said...

I like all of your pictures, but the first shot is just down-right amazing! Good job!

Jen said...

I love the curling fern, it's so beautiful!

lulu and family said...

i love it! and the plants do whisper.=) love that you quiet yourself enough to hear.=) your daughter is precious!

Chocolate Girl said...

That fern is amazing.

Bec said...

The fern is just too cool. I love all the green and the shapes.

Terry Elisabeth said...

Those fern pictures are gorgeous !

fleetfeet said...

How. In. The. World. Did. You. Even. See. That. Coiling. Fern. Let. Alone. Photograph it? You? Are amazing!

Laura said...

the curling fern is great - but, ohmygoodness, the photographing thing is the cutest thing I've seen

Karli said...

Oh that's hysterical about your daughter!! My kids go around snapping pictures, but I haven't heard any rumblings about them "wanting to be like me..." Hmmm... ;-) That first picture, too, was SO COOL!

anneawesome said...

Well, I just LOVE your fern photos. But your daughter's stuff is so darn cute!

Katarina said...

She is adorable, and I always love to see your new pics, nature and family ones!!!Now that I saw that you were so close to me(Budapest) I wish I knew it before................snip, snip....
Hugs:))))

Rebekah said...

mmmm, beautiful fern!

And that Elle of yours, she is an amazing one :)

linda said...

That fern looks alot like a fiddlehead fern, which are absolutely YUMMY when still tightly coiled. Beautiful photo.
And the photos of Elle, wonderful...but i must say, she is going to outshine her mama...just look at the ingenious photos she took/made.

Katarina said...

She is adorable, and I always love to see your new pics, nature and family ones!!!Now that I saw that you were so close to me(Budapest) I wish I knew it before................snip, snip....
Hugs:))))

Terry Elisabeth said...

Those fern pictures are gorgeous !

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

"cortege"? Must look up.

Also, generic Polly Pockets? Where?!

Also again, Your Elle and my Cee would be quite a pair...