09 March 2010

sight. [tuesday, unwrapped.]

sight1

i began squinting to make out equations on the chalkboard in tenth grade; bought my first pair of contacts eight years later, thinking it might be nice to actually see the first graders i was teaching. and each time i carried a babe in my womb, my eyesight plunged further into that blurry pool of myopia.

so these days i'm good for a scope of about a half dozen inches from my face. beyond that, and i need prescription lenses to wrestle those loose shapes and colors into recognition.

i got to wondering about this, about what it might be like to never see the way bee's mouth curves at the edges when he's trying not to laugh. to never know elle has the littlest pair of freckles on her left cheek, binary stars on a pale curve of skin. to lose zee's tarantula lashes, or em's way of shuffling as he runs. would i ache with a sense of what i was missing?

clarity of sight is a tremendous thing. i yearn for every mother to be able to see her children, and even more, to watch them thrive.

sight2

so much to work out in this messy life, but i'm glad for so many chances to love.



* * *

this is my tuesday unwrapped. visit chatting at the sky for more of the messy, the lovely, the unexpected.

15 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful. Once again the reason I am drawn to your blog. Your choice of words and pictures move me. If you ever write a book, which I believe you should, I will be the first in line to purchase.

Kimberly said...

That last picture truly is one of the most stunning you've ever taken. Wow.

And the words that accompanied it touched my heart today.

gail said...

great stuff! i got my first pair of glasses in 7th grade and today i'm picking up my latest pair----bifocals!!! yikes.

7 years ago my dh lost 80 % of his sight due to an accident. he misses so much, but has grown accustomed to his small window of vision that he doesn't even realize now what he is missing. we are so thankful to the Lord that he still has some sight.

love that last pic you took---wow!!!

lulu and family said...

i can relate with more fuzzies with each child. went to the eye doc after #3. he said my prescription is the same. how can that be?? my vision is getting fuzzier and fuzzier. love that creative shot of your girl through the lens!

Annie @ The House That Jade Built said...

We are so blessed to live in a country where we have access to our vision needs. This post was very near and dear to my heart because of my Aubrie. Until she was 20 months old she never saw my face when I held her in my arms. Thank the lord with glasses - she can see me perfectly! Great post!

togetherforgood said...

This is a lovely post. You are a very talented photographer! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Southern Gal said...

My eyesight has always been great. But now that I'm in my 40's I can tell it's beginning to fade. Only now can I begin to understand my sister's struggle with poor vision.
I had never thought about it so much before. Thanks for the perspective.

kris said...

Such a cool picture!

Jenn said...

It is actually your sight (or should I say "insight") that makes me love you so much :)

Jenn

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

Just lovely, my friend. Thanks for giving me a blessing to think on today.

Jenny said...

"...even more to watch them thrive..." Ah, such a big difference, thank you pointing that out. Blessings

Heather of the EO said...

SO beautiful. Thank you.

Melissa_Rae said...

I love that last picture! This is a beautiful post. Sigh.

Jenny said...

"...even more to watch them thrive..." Ah, such a big difference, thank you pointing that out. Blessings

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

Just lovely, my friend. Thanks for giving me a blessing to think on today.