06 March 2010

in which i become a cyclops.

this week was full of the making of happy things, my very favorites being these two:

1. a backpack for my nephew's third birthday:

backity pack.
[tutorial from the superlicious anna at noodleheads]

so you’ll notice that my backpack looks a wee bit different from anna’s as Planning Ahead is not my modus operandi and nary a zipper could be found amongst my supplies, let alone three yards of cotton cording. i admit to rummaging through closets for a good ten minutes, eyeing the wondrous zippers currently living in various jackets and sports bags. in the end, however, i left them intact and substituted a velcro tab-thingee (and binding instead of the cord), which is perhaps less effective but still mighty cute.

2. my first-ever boy softie, made for beth's nest feathering:

and he's done.
[and if you are reading this before midnight today (saturday), you will want to mosey on over and drop your name in for all of the gorgeous mom/baby offerings at steph's place. trust me on this.]

it was a bit of a challenge, making a softie cute but distinctly boyish. i fear he ended up a little reminiscent of sponge-bob-square-pants (emphasis on the square pants; you'll see what i mean when you get him, beth), but he was still so squishable that i secretly contemplated kidnapping the guy and making a break for rio. fortunately, i remembered how much i like beth, and sent him safely off in the post instead.

with the trappings.

also, free and completely unrelated tip of the day: those warnings plastered on hydrogen peroxide contact solutions are for real--don't slap a contact back on your eye until it has soaked for at least six hours. today i briefly removed my lenses in high hopes of a nap (alas, 'twas not to be), and in a momentary lapse of brain activity, started to put them back in. so yeah, pretty much i scorched my right eyeball off. not to worry, though, as i am a quick learner and didn't repeat the process with my left eyeball. good thing we come with two eyes.

and now we've arrived at the part of the post where i stick in photos of my kids so The Very Far Away Grandparents still like me.

em was not feeling a photo today:

forced photo.

but the others acquiesced with a little strategic coaxing*:

bee.

zee.

pearlies.

happy weekend to you!


*i told them it was part of their chores and must be endured to earn this week's allowance. worked like a charm.

15 comments:

Raechel said...

HA! Love the "chores" argument! Will tuck that one away! :)

Jenn said...

{sigh} it should be illegal to have kids that good looking :)

i like the chores argument too...that's a keeper for sure!

happy weekend friend!

Jenn

Anna said...

oh cool! this is awesome. you did a great job - better stock up on those zippers. :)

Norman said...

Thank you for those pictures. They are growing up.

Love, dad, grandpa

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Your things are so lovely!

Steph

Heidi said...

Love the backpack and the squishie! Great pics of the cuties.

Norman said...

You BLACKMAILED them?!!! (But in such a clever way!) This far away grandparent is grateful 'though she's still mulling over the method used.

Love the backpack, too!

mom (grandma)

Heather said...

every bit of what you have made is beautiful...including the children! blessed, you are!

Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry said...

Oh my...that squishy boy that you made? (I realize I could also be talking about your children here...) is SO.ADORABLE. My heart nearly jumps out of my chest thinking of this boy playing with that piece of awesomeness that you made.

I am SO READY for you to teach me to sew...well, maybe not today or tomorrow...but soon. OKAY?

Kimberly said...

Dang you have gorgeous kids. Of all the beautiful things you create they are the most so.

Jen Thomason said...

Love the way your back pack turned out! Thanks for the great tutorial link. I can't wait to make my little guy one! And, I am in love with your softies! Beautiful, beautiful.

Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry said...

I just picked up the softie you made for my baby from Stephanie's house. Neither one of us could wait, so I opened it up there for her to see and he LITERALLY took my breath away. I have visions of our son holding onto this sweet baby boy softie for many, many years to come and it brings tears, happy, beautiful tears to my eyes.

I feel so LUCKY to have this for him - I am so thankful for you. And am so thankful that you share your talents with the world.

HUGE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF XOXOXO's to you.

Beth at I Should Be Folding La said...

I just picked up the softie you made for my baby from Stephanie's house. Neither one of us could wait, so I opened it up there for her to see and he LITERALLY took my breath away. I have visions of our son holding onto this sweet baby boy softie for many, many years to come and it brings tears, happy, beautiful tears to my eyes.

I feel so LUCKY to have this for him - I am so thankful for you. And am so thankful that you share your talents with the world.

HUGE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF XOXOXO's to you.

Jen Thomason said...

Love the way your back pack turned out! Thanks for the great tutorial link. I can't wait to make my little guy one! And, I am in love with your softies! Beautiful, beautiful.

Beth at I Should Be Folding La said...

Oh my...that squishy boy that you made? (I realize I could also be talking about your children here...) is SO.ADORABLE. My heart nearly jumps out of my chest thinking of this boy playing with that piece of awesomeness that you made.

I am SO READY for you to teach me to sew...well, maybe not today or tomorrow...but soon. OKAY?