13 December 2009

'tis the season

it's that time of year when visions of handmade gifts dance in my head, and i realize (as i do every december) that to pull this off i actually needed to start mid-july. (will somebody leave me a comment in july? reminding me to get crafting? the me-of-future-christmases thanks you.)

so my plan, at the moment, is to not sleep until december 26th. should that not pan out, i will be wrapping up my shopping at the corner VP, midnight, christmas eve. blue cherry slurpees for everyone.**

of course, i could adopt a sensible approach and buy handmade, which is that magical combination of giving handmade gifts while still keeping a toehold on the slippery slope that is my sanity, but somehow i never manage to cave to reason.

you, however, are wise and sane. and so i shall share with you a smattering of my favoritest finds on etsy, aka the world's most vibrant handmade marketplace.

etsy

aran sweater::bellflower earrings::shall we skate::portable mistletoe::eggnog marshmallows::on a frozen pond::santa's helper::mistletoe table lamp::eggnog soy candle::december in my favorite sweater::eggnog hat::pine cold-process soap::porcupine tree scarf::winter wonderland--iced::raw art letterpress::eggnog soap bar

**if my memory serves me correctly, one of my brothers actually bought us slurpees one year. which means i'd lose points for originality, but hopefully gain a few for preserving hallowed family traditions.

7 comments:

sarah barnett said...

I too wanted to make all my gifts and here I am eleven days to go and there's no chance I'll make it! I also love etsy. I live in Australia but my husband's brother and family live in Atlanta so I buy handmade from etsy and have it wrapped and shipped directly to them! As a SAHM of three wiggly ones I have great admiration for those with more! Especially when they make such beautiful things! Blessings x Sarah

Kimberly said...

I really, really want that Santa hat. You have exquisite taste. Which of course is another way of saying taste similar to mine...

Happy shopping?

Denny said...

I like blue-cherry slurpees if that helps.

Mary Rogers said...

I too will not be sleeping until the 26th...just so you know. You're in good company.

gina said...

I shop etsy. and swear next year I'll DImyself.

Kindra said...

I can tell you right now that if Seth thought that was an actual option, he would have put that on his original list! So don't you feel bad if that's what you end up getting him...in fact, you may get the prize for his favorite present. Add in one of those little hand held fruit filled pies that look (and taste) more like plastic to me than anything actually resembling pie & you've got one happy brother-in-law!!

Mary Rogers said...

I too will not be sleeping until the 26th...just so you know. You're in good company.