16 February 2009

wake me up when we're done

the sun is lying to me.



where i grew up, sunny=warm, notsunny=lesswarm. the midwestern sun, however, is a tricky little beast. take today for instance. bright, cloudless, and thirty-two degrees (which i suppose isn't actually all that cold for february, except for if you happen to be a warm-blooded mammal instead of, say, a mineral).

some days i push back the curtains and exclaim, "it's gorgeous! we should go for a walk!" and hubby says "it's three degrees" and i say "well, then. just kidding. we should bake some cookies."

so we've got oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars in the oven, which, despite all the butter and sugar, *do* contain whole wheat flour and oatmeal and wheat bran, so they're not a total loss.

i'm too sleepy to think of a transition.

the hubby was gone again last night, which meant i didn't sleep well, partly because i never sleep soundly when he's gone and partly because i let my four year old take his spot, and she tends to shift and pat my cheeks in her sleep and wake up at 45 minute intervals to tell me things as they occur to her. things like: "mom, it is so funny because i wear my red jammy pants but my jammy shirt is the blue one!" and i say, "mmhmmn" which is a rough translation for "please tell me about this at some hour that happens after sunrise."

i have spent much of today walking around with my eyes literally closed, resulting in a scuffed toe and a couple of close encounters with doorjambs.

insert clever transition here.

i'm teaching the pre-k class at church, and for the record: pre-k-ers are hilarious. yesterday i'm in the middle of the Jesus Loves The Children Story, right at the part where he's telling his disciples to let the little children come to him, and one of the smallish gals, who is solemn and taciturn as all get out, barks. loudly. it's just one solitary syllable of a bark at top volume, and when i glance up, her serious little face is blinking at me with all her usual calm. of course, this inspires a chorus of barking from the remainder of the class, which is All Sorts Of Fun, but i'm so thoroughly amused i don't even mind.

transitions are overrated.

this here is my littlest boy.



he lights up my february. i'm blessed.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thank heaven for the heart warming moments that steal the bite from February's chill.

Jen M said...

I actually sleep so much better when DH is away (but then again, it's because I have the whole bed to myself - no kids in my bed!) Hope you get some rest soon!

~love said...

pre-K kids ARE hilarious. i love it.

and he looks so stinkin' SWEET! is he really as sweet and tender-hearted as he appears?!

what i'd give for a warm day on the beach right now...

Jenn said...

You are preachin' to the choir girlfriend :) I feel for you! I was so lonely this past week I almost crawled into bed with one of my kiddos just so I could sleep. But then I decided Julia's snoring would be worse than being lonely ;)

We have lots of barking at this house. My little girls are rarely little girls...usually puppies, kitties, or ferocious lions.

Your little guy is beyond sweet!

take a bow Jenn

Courtney said...

Okay so after reading your blog..I am really thinking of who all is in the Pre-K class and wondering if this was my sweet child...too funny! I love this age!!! Always doing something funny! Thanks for sharing.

Jenn said...

You are preachin' to the choir girlfriend :) I feel for you! I was so lonely this past week I almost crawled into bed with one of my kiddos just so I could sleep. But then I decided Julia's snoring would be worse than being lonely ;)

We have lots of barking at this house. My little girls are rarely little girls...usually puppies, kitties, or ferocious lions.

Your little guy is beyond sweet!

take a bow Jenn