i am likely the only person under the age of 83 who is spending new year's eve in the quiet boringness of my very own living room. my ego wants me to tell you all that i was, in fact, invited to a couple parties, but they were childless parties. and since i only associate with wildly cool people, i could not come up with a single acquaintance who might have an inkling of desire to spend new year's eve kidsitting.
the kiddos and i are all piled out in the living room (hubby's at a teen thing at church), doing an impromptu sleepover and watching veggie tales flicks. and when i look at these little people who can't even fill out half their sleeping bags, and smile as they squawk out an enthusiastic rendition of the vt theme song, i can't help but think that i couldn't ask for better company to usher in the new year.
i love these people. they are pretty much my favorite people on the planet. and luckily, fantastically, they love me back. i am totally their favorite mum, at least till they turn thirteen.
anyway, i honestly don't know how it's possible that 2009 is upon us. i'm somewhere back in 1998, wandering aimlessly in my cargo pants and humming My Heart Will Go On. i am told that this time lapse is a symptom of old age, but in my case i suspect it may be a colossal case of tardiness.
whatever the year, it was a good one. so good, in fact, that i'm going to meme it, 'cause there's nothing like a vapid meme to round out an otherwise decent year.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
embarrassed myself to the tune of aloha oe in front of a gymful of women
2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
good thing i keep this blog, because it is so much more reliable than my actual memory. now that i look over my resolutions, i'd have to answer with a definitive sort of.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
how close to me, exactly? no new family, though i'd like k&s to get cracking.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
my grandpa. i miss him.
5. What countries did you visit?
the united states. and also i lived there for like, oh, 365 days...wait, was this leap year? 366 then.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
a six pack. of abs, folks; do not mail me heineken.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
um...apparently none, and because i am that magical composition of self-absorbed with a bad memory.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
keeping my little people watered and happy and healthy for twelve consecutive months.
9. What was your biggest failure?
i am certain i squandered many an opportunity to be Jesus to someone, most often my children or husband, but no particular instance jumps up and down yelling, pick me!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
i don't recall. perhaps it was head trauma. oh no wait, i did experience the mother of all sore throats, which sounds minor but believe me. unadulterated torture.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
well, i don't know about the best, but these coats and boots made me pretty happy.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
mccain and obama on election night. it's difficult to win or to lose with grace, but these two pulled it off.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
well, i could point to your typical nefarions (yes, i just nouned nefarious) like madoff, but the reality is that since i am ultimately responsible for only my own behavior, i will always be most appalled by myself.
14. Where did most of your money go?
to God. we just keep giving it back to each other; we're all: no really, i insist. no you take it, i want you to have it.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
um, hmmmn. maybe the sixth harry potter movie, and then somebody cruel and unusual at warner bros postponed the release till next july. actually, it wasn't that exciting, i just couldn't pass up another opportunity to complain about it.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2008?
viva la vida, lucky (mraz/caillat), falling slowly (from the independent film ONCE, which i know came out in 2007 but i didn't discover it till 08)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? i don't actually recall this time last year, but let's go with happier.
b) thinner or fatter? who knows. maybe a bit thinner.
c) richer or poorer? um, dunno. i usually feel rich.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
affirming my children. making the people around me feel valued. push ups.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
whining and whinging, though i am awfully talented at it.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
i spent it:
a) at home with my hubby, kids, and some fresh banana-chocolate chip muffins
b) in the front region of the minivan
c) in michigan with the in laws, who (it must be said) are a pretty groovy bunch
21. Where did you begin the year; and where will you end it?
like i can remember that long ago; wedged between the kiddos on the living room floor.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
well i remained in it, which sounds effortless, like we just sat about in this big ol' puddle of love. but we worked at it, and it's still there, and that's a mighty good thing.
23. How many one-night stands?
um, zero. please refer to the previous answer.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
i actually don't think i hate anyone, and besides, that's maybe the wrong question. i've come to agree with the adage that the opposite of love is indifference.
26. What was the best book you read?
i'm going to go with best books, plural, since if i could name just one i'd be someone who's not me.
LOOKING FOR ALASKA
something by anne lamott
BEFORE I DIE
HOW I LIVE NOW
THE ACTUAL REAL REALITY OF JENNIFER JAMES
ARTEMIS FOWL series
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
scala&the kolacny brothers, keane, iron&wine
28. What did you want and get?
health. a hoodie. a few hazy, hot days at the beach. possibly other things that start with the letter h.
29. What did you want and not get?
the end of world hunger. a belated growth spurt, a summer house in milan, intergalactic peace. and also a pony.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
well, seeing as how i viewed exactly 3 films en theatre, i'm gonna have to go with kung fu panda.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
oh good, a question whose answer i can actually remember. ten days ago was a sunday, so i did the normal church schedule, which happily included the young adults (who are some of the dearest people in my life) hanging out at our place, plus i was on the receiving end of some excellent handmade truffles, plus my dad sang to me on the phone, plus my kids and the hubby made me cake. all in all, an excellent day, except for the part where todd attempted to rob me of one of my candles: i am thirty-two (and ten days), not a piddly thirty-one, thankyouverymuch.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
a heightened ability to see beyond myself.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
homebody-chic: jeans and a yard sale tee, throw in a hoodie and knee socks during the nine months of winter.
34. What kept you sane?
lisa harber. the bible. my kids. books. running.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
kina grannis is brilliant, plus also anyone with a british accent.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
unfortunately, i am too self-absorbed to be the subject of significant stirring, but probably the war in iraq.
37. Who did you miss?
my grandpa okasako.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
i really, really like paul and melissa, and luke and katie...if i met anyone else this year, i apologize for not mentioning you, i just have this horrid memory thing going on.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
gargling apple cider vinegar is even more disgusting than it sounds.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
lucky to have been where i have been, lucky to be coming home again.
and lucky that y'all are a part of my life. happy 2009, folks.
3 hours ago