03 October 2008

booklove

apparently i was so swept up in wednesday’s state of bliss that i neglected to give you september's booklist. my apologies.

THE LOVELY BONES alice sebold
ELDEST christopher paolini
THIRTEEN REASONS WHY jay asher
ARTEMIS FOWL: THE ARCTIC INCIDENT eoin colfer
ARTEMIS FOWL: THE ETERNITY CODE colfer
ARTEMIS FOWL: THE OPAL DECEPTION colfer
ARTEMIS FOWL: THE LOST COLONY guess who
THE HOUSE ON MANGO STREET sandra cisneros
THE HOST stephenie meyer
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE jk rowling

my favorites from the above list:

MANGO STREET is an assemblage of vignettes that speak of home in writing that one critic aptly described as "spare yet luminous." read this.

as evidenced by the surfeit of colfer, i love me some ARTEMIS FOWL. short, snappy books written with humor that mirrors mine so flawlessly, colfer and i could be identical twins parted at birth. except that he’s irish. and male. oh, and brilliant and talented. so yeah, maybe we could just be people with really similar tastes in humor.

also, i should mention that HALF BLOOD PRINCE is a mighty good read...rowling is so far-famed that it seems redundant to recommend harry potter (i’m assuming that if you have interest in this series, you’ve already read it). but still, my official stance: mighty good read.

so now, your turn: anything delightful you've read lately? contrary to what i used to believe, i'm not particular about genre or theme...my single criterion is that the book enchants. what do you recommend?

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm reading "Into the Wild" now. I know I'm a little behind the times because everyone's already seen the movie but I just discovered it. It's very interesting and I can't wait to see the movie once I'm done!

geeta said...

I always love seeing what you are reading- but I never seem to have any recognition of the books you mention. Obviously, I haven't read any novels whatsoever in many years, but I used to be an avid reader. I just have no time anymore for it.

These are a few books that 'enchanted' me...I read them a number of times:

Perfume- by Patrick Suskind

The Unbearable Lightness of Being- Milan Kundera

A Suitable Boy- Vikram Seth

Tess of the D'urbervilles- Thomas Hardy

Kimberly said...

I recommend Uglies by Scott Westerfield, and Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Captivating reads, the both of them.

Amelia said...

I haven't been reading much lately, but I have discovered the best book store just around the corner from Anthro. It's a local shop, but huge! They carry unusual and hard to find books, interesting papers, and all kinds of neat book-ish things. Today I bought a Cath Kidston pocket planner with a rose motif, I heart it!

Mango Street sounds good, I have read excerpts from it and thought they were very vivid.

Angela said...

I also enjoyed The Host (couldn't resist giving it a try after being sucked into Meyer's Twilight saga). Also echo the love for the Fringe TV series! Normally I also watch Dancing with the Stars but this season is even longer than past seasons and I think I will wait to catch it until the cast narrows a bit.

underthebigbluesky said...

Ooh, great list. I'm on my fourth go-round of reading Harry Potter, never tire of it.

Am currently reading

Growing Girls: The Mother of All Adventures by Jeanne Marie Laskas.

Hope to finish one book this month, but cooking and sewing have taken over.

I understand about cooking (hello, oven back on), but don't know why autumn starts my sewing binges.

Jane said...

Hello ... may I also concur that I immensely enjoy Eoin Colfer's Artemis series. If you haven't had a chance be sure to take the time to listen to the series on CD. It is even better! As well, the HP series is the reason I even began to listen to audiobooks. Jim Dale (the narrator) is THAT good. May I also suggest the "Penderwicks" a delightful story about four sisters & their adventures.

I could go on & on about some great titles but I won't bore you. I do enjoy reading your blog.

Happy Reading!

Jane said...

Hello ... may I also concur that I immensely enjoy Eoin Colfer's Artemis series. If you haven't had a chance be sure to take the time to listen to the series on CD. It is even better! As well, the HP series is the reason I even began to listen to audiobooks. Jim Dale (the narrator) is THAT good. May I also suggest the "Penderwicks" a delightful story about four sisters & their adventures.

I could go on & on about some great titles but I won't bore you. I do enjoy reading your blog.

Happy Reading!

underthebigbluesky said...

Ooh, great list. I'm on my fourth go-round of reading Harry Potter, never tire of it.

Am currently reading

Growing Girls: The Mother of All Adventures by Jeanne Marie Laskas.

Hope to finish one book this month, but cooking and sewing have taken over.

I understand about cooking (hello, oven back on), but don't know why autumn starts my sewing binges.