16 September 2008

farewell to summer

as the autumn equinox hovers less than a week away in our hemisphere, i'm taking these few days to bid a photographic farewell to summer.











each day at the ko'olina lagoons, elle clamored for a "swimming pool." we'd fashion a crater in that perfect spot just out of reach of the ocean's ebb and surge, but close enough to the waterline to fill with several inches of sandy salt water.

i'd laugh a bit to myself at the sight: she had the whole of the limpid pacific before her, but was enormously content to splash in her personal puddle. and while i hope that she'll dream big, i also know the considerable wealth of being able to find joy in the niche of world belonging just to you.

farewell, holidays by the sea.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nic,

Well said. What's large is wonderful & grand, but what's small & special & all your own...sometimes, nothing can beat that.

The Rushtons said...

very beautifully said. :)

madabella said...

I love to read your eloquent passages. You have amazing literary talent! Who is your favorite author of all time?

Kimberly said...

I have fond memories of doing the same thing once upon a time.

And then I moved further up the beach and tried to dig a hole to china. Dreaming big indeed.

Melissa said...

Ah... well, just come visit us here. Everyone in blog land is talking about how fall is upon their doorsteps... it's gonna be 104 today here.
Fall? What's that?

janae said...

What a beautiful sentiment. I love what you said.

~love said...

oh, nic...how i miss you when i'm away from blogland. this is one of my very favorite posts of yours. come be my neighbor! = )

Stephanie said...

That is so sweet. I can totally see how she would like that. The ocean can be a little overwhelming but that little pool is just her size.

Amelia said...

How sweet! I love the personal pool story, that's precious. Elle's swim suit is super cute!

~love said...

oh, nic...how i miss you when i'm away from blogland. this is one of my very favorite posts of yours. come be my neighbor! = )