29 February 2008

bibliophilism

As it appears I have very little aversion to tooting my own horn, allow me to point out that I've remembered to maintain (and even post!) this booklist two months in a row now. Please be duly impressed.

February's books:

SOMEDAY THIS PAIN WILL BE USEFUL TO YOU (Peter Cameron)
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS (JK Rowling)
PLAN B (Anne Lamott)
THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY (David Levithan)
LUCAS: A STORY OF LOVE AND HATE (Kevin Brooks)
WALK SOFTLY, RACHEL (Kate Banks)
CONFESSIONS OF A HEARTLESS GIRL (Martha Brooks)
BEFORE I DIE (Jenny Downham)
SNAP (Alison McGhee)
WAVES (Sharon Dogar)
THE SWEET FAR THING (Libba Bray)

Now for the monthly recommendation. While no clear preferent emerged, I did enjoy each of these novels. The most compelling, in my opinion, were SOMEDAY (kind of like a modern-day CATCHER IN THE RYE), LUCAS, and SNAP (which had a young, candid voice reminiscent of BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE, minus the magical realism). Also, BEFORE I DIE engendered more tears from my poor little eyeballs (or poor little tear ducts, whatever) than any other book I've encountered in my thirty-one years. Confirm a healthy Kleenex supply before attempting this read.

Happy bookworming, friends.



Click here for January's booklist.

6 comments:

waterfalls*n*rainbows said...

Nicki, that's amazing...how do you find the time?

Gonna add a few to my list.

Kimberly said...

Oooo...I've been needing something new to read! Thank you!

Melissa said...

I was thinking the same thing as waterfalls*n*rainbows. Ask me how many books I read in Feb... go ahead... ask... ZERO. I feel so lame!

janae said...

You must be super human! I don't know how you do all the things you do in a given day. Are you a speed reader? I'm just trying to figure it out.

Jen said...

Oooh, thank you thank you. :D

And seriously where do you find the time to read that many books.

Nic said...

guys, it's really easy: misplaced priorities. so when i ought to be, say, sweeping the floor, i read another chapter instead. ;)

actually, reading is what i do as down time--instead of tv, books are my thing.