12 January 2008

Back in the day, part III

Final stop: high school (1990-94).

These years held baby doll dresses, back pack purses, flannel shirts over tank tops, and overalls (with one side unbuttoned 'cause we were cool like that). We'd be best friends with everyone just so we could share those split heart necklace charms (where you either ended up with "Be Frie" or "st nds").

Conversations were spiked with syke, booya, not, as if, shyaw (or sometimes the extended version: shyaw...and monkeys might fly out of my butt). (Sorry, Mom.) Also see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

We went to football games, a billion movies, Zippy's, McDonald's, the beach, soccer practice, and the occasional concert at the Waikiki Shell.

Paulie Shore was everyone's hero and primary role model.

We joined everything: Key Club, Environmental Club, the mediation team, Sigma Kappa Iota, Future somethings or other of America, and a bunch of other well-intentioned organizations that I really can't recall.

Lunch was still heavily subsidized by the state and only cost 50 cents. Karen ate a lot of my oranges.

In high school, one was identified largely on the basis of location--front lawn: drama/goths, shop: sweaty shop guys, band room: band geeks, under the bridge: Samoans, lanai: cool people & their followers, AP chems room: overachievers.

Let us not forget the beauty that was Wayne's World.

Gina and I played Power Rangers in Safeway, talked to our seat belts, blew bubbles, and generally embarrassed everyone else within a ten foot radius on a regular basis. Emi and I had matching straw hats, ate Little Caesar's Crazy Bread and analyzed our love lives in the parking lot of 16 acres, plus took a few unauthorized trips to a certain little town on the North Shore (again, sorry Mom). Karen and I listened to Hawaiian songs in her car (mostly she listened and I endured), went dress shopping, and refined and mutually admired each other's spectacular sense of sarcasm.

In our spare time, we went to proms.

Do you sense that I could ramble on for a while? I could ramble on for a while. But since I'm certain you have other things to do today besides die of boredom, here's the part of the show where I point out the playlist to your right and leave you to reminisce in peace.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh my...memories. I was a band geek and looooved revelling in my geekiness. Mmmm...

Kel said...

Brings back fond memories! For me, it was Kalapana, C&K, and Ala Moana Beach.

My friends and I would catch the bus to Ala Moana (bus #52) for a quarter and swim at Magic Island. We would swim out to the breakers, watch the surfers and get splashed by the waves that crashed on the breakers. Then we would walk back to Ala Moana Center and buy a manapua for lunch.

I am older than you, lunches were 25 cents!

Thanks for the memories!

emily said...

really loving these "back in the days"!! definitely bringing back some memories for me!

jorth said...

More Than Words - I'd almost forgotten that song existed!

Melissa said...

Ah... the 90's :D Always fun to remember!!
I still can't see the playlist... not sure what's up with my computer :S