21 December 2007

so i was having a good birthday

...right up till the part when I realized I wasn't 32. Does anyone else do this faulty counting thing? I call it Delayed Counting Syndrome.

It happens whenever I'm trying to keep track of something that takes a while to progress. Like running laps on a track. I complete lap three, I'm starting out on the fourth lap and the whole time I'm rounding the track I'm thinking about how this is the fourth lap, obsessing about the number four and how it means I only have eight or twelve (or twenty four if you're someone who's not me at all) left to go, so by the time I hit the starting point again, I'm way past four and count it as five.

And then I'm obsessing about the number six for a good hundred meters until I realize, nope, that was four laps I just completed back there. This one's number five. It's all very confusing; sometimes I have to run a few extra laps at the end just in case.

Tell me this isn't just me.

So last night when it hit midnight I was conversing with the voices in my head about being thirty two and how fun a number that is and it took me a good five minutes before I realized that, no, this is just thirty one. I've been thinking about thirty one all week and apparently got so used to the idea that I moved right along to the next number once my birthday hit.

Bah, humbug.

Although, come to think of it, it's a double humbug because technically I'm still only thirty until some ungodly hour of tomorrow morning, but that's another odd story in itself.

It's just me, isn't it. Yeah, don't tell me; I'd really rather not know.



HOWEVER



Birthday joys:

:: a roasted Panera sandwich :: Anne Rice's INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE series :: How I Met Your Mother, season 1 :: a slew of delectably humorous cards from brilliant people :: girlie combat boots + knee socks from Mom and Dad (good choice, guys) :: sweet phone calls and e-mails and e-cards ::


So it turns out I'm having a good day after all. I suppose I can hang out at thirty one for a while.

20 comments:

Shannon Bieger said...

Happy Happy Birthday! I have 31 right around the corner too and I don't like it. It's such an odd number. It's not the age I don't like...it's just the number.

And I totally do that about numbers too. Especially with pregnancy. "Ok, I'm 34 weeks. So I'm going INTO my 35th week? Which chapter do I read in my pregnancy book...week 34 or week 35?"

Have a wonderful birthday!

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday! I just turned 31 myself... it's not such a bad number... really! :)
And yeah... numbers confuse me in general ;)
Have a great day!

Tonya said...

Happy Birthday Nic!

no feeling sorry...you will remain just as fresh and brillant and beautiful until you are 90!

Hope you have a good day!

xoxo

Tonya

Kimberly said...

Ah well...you didn't look old enough to be 32 anyway. ~hugs~ Happy Birthday cute stuff!

BusyDad said...

Happy birthday! Looks like you made out pretty well. Don’t worry, I used to do the same thing at the track. All the time!! So I started wearing a small rubber band on my finger. I’d start at the thumb (on lap 1), then when I finished the lap, I’d move it to my index finger (on lap 2) etc. And on lap 6, I’d start at the thumb again. This way, I’d only have to remember if I was on lap 1-5 or 6-10 or 11-15. A lot easier to keep track of. Try it, it really works well.

Tayasmama said...

Hahaha you are cracking me up hun! It's not just you at all, I do it all the time, in Feb, I am turning something. I feel like it's 24 but I'm thinking it might actually be 25. 25 just doesn't seem right. That would mean that I am in my MID 20s and that freaks me out a little. Me and my friend were trying to figure out how much older I was than her and neither of us could remember how old we actually even were! I think having babies is what does it. My brain will never be sharp again! Now that I've gone on and one. Hope you had a good day :)

Christine said...

happy birthday! I do the same thing with my birthdays -- add on. I already think of myself as a 40-something to tell the truth

great blog!

~love said...

hey...that ungodly hour of the morning isn't that far gone. it's 5:30 here....so i'm only a few hours late. happiest birthday to you!
wishing you a beautiful year!!

Wenderina said...

if it helps, you are now in your 32nd year. Many happy returns.

MOMMY said...

Happy birthday. BTW, I love your playlist.

Jen said...

:D I completely do the number thing too. Not so much with birthdays but with other things. I sometimes wonder if it's the completely perfectionist side of my brain colliding with the other completely abstract random side. They don't get along very well. ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! 31 is a good birthday. :) And just think - now you just get to be 32 twice. :) Sounds like you had a great day. Interview with a Vampire, eh? ;)

Fledgling said...

Oh, no you're not the only one: I definitely loose count when counting my birthdays. And I get confused around 32, as well. So, I am probably somewhere around 32 years old. For several years now. Somewhere WAY around 32.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

With age comes the privilege of selective memory.

Happy Birthday! I so enjoy your words!

-N.

janae said...

Happy Birthday Nic! I wish I was turning 31. That was a few years ago for me. I guess I wouldn't go back. Love the gifts you got. Let me know about your books. I'm always looking for a good read. Oh, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too!

MOMMY said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

After the holiday stop my blog and play word association fo a prize. (12/22 post)

holly said...

happy belated birthday! i have 6 years on you. i do that thing with the numbers too, about a month beforehand i start thinking i'm the next year. it's a nice relief as i approach 40. i have three HUGE years until that happens. ..
liked the anne rice series. LOVED the witches of mayfair series. both wonderful.

Christine said...

Now, I'm almost 1 week too late to congratulate, but nevertheless happy belated birthday. I gave up counting how old I actually am at my 30th birthday. And like Shannon, it's not the age I don't like, it's just the number. If I could choose, I would be 25 with all the experience and knowledge I'm having now at 33.

BTW, I found you via Nancy's blog and I feel very comfortable here ;O)

Greetings from Germany, Chris

MOMMY said...

Happy birthday. BTW, I love your playlist.

Christine said...

happy birthday! I do the same thing with my birthdays -- add on. I already think of myself as a 40-something to tell the truth

great blog!

~love said...

hey...that ungodly hour of the morning isn't that far gone. it's 5:30 here....so i'm only a few hours late. happiest birthday to you!
wishing you a beautiful year!!

Kimberly said...

Ah well...you didn't look old enough to be 32 anyway. ~hugs~ Happy Birthday cute stuff!