10 December 2007

o tannenbaum (again)

There's a lot to be said for lack of selection.

Last year's Quest for the Perfect Tree required a bit of deliberating. And by a bit I mean a ridiculously huge amount. This year's specimen was selected in less than six minutes.

We are good.

So the secret to fast-tree-picking is to go a few days into December, when the trees in your price range have dwindled to half a row and they all look equally good. Or equally bad. Either way.

Also, go on the day where it's about 12 degrees, and bring all four of your children to chatter their poor little teeth beside you. If you don't have four, borrow some to make up the difference.

The result is that everyone shuffles back and forth between fraser firs, mostly to generate a modicum of friction in a vain attempt to stave off frostbite. You sticky your gloves with tree sap, pulling out this tree and that, but it's so cold that even your opinions are numb. You pick one.

Surprisingly, when we got home and our eyesight defrosted, we found that this year's edition is no worse than any of its predecessors who required a solid twenty minutes of comparison shopping.

It's actually quite lovely, and fragrant to boot. Next year I'm aiming for two minutes flat.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

We got our tree last week... Baby Girl and I actually fought over it... nice, eh?? She found the shortest Nobel Fir in the place... the problem? All the Nobel Firs are the same price. No matter what the size... so, we can get the 5' tree for $40 or the almost 7' tree for the same price. I eventually won... but bribery ensued.
Will you post pics of the finshed product??

Kimberly said...

Hey, where's the pictures, hmmm?

We cheated and went for fake, pre-lit this year. We've done enough damage to the carpet in this place as it is. =P

~love said...

we got a fraser fir, too. i love doing it the saturday after thanksgiving every year...but that wonderful smell is all but gone now.
i think we girls may have been out a total of 4 minutes, too...then left trusty dad to cut it down. =)

Tonya said...

loved this...

I feel like I need to go grab a blanket though..your style is so 3 dimensional...

Jen said...

Hehehe, that cracks me up as I've had that same experience. I LOVE Fraiser Firs! Such beautiful trees! I can't wait to see pics!

Katy said...

Ahahaha! You crack me up!!! So...do we get to see this tree?? :)

mindyluwho said...

"it's so cold that even your opinions are numb." Hilarious! I love it!

I can't imagine picking a tree in six minutes. It takes us, er...my husband, all day to find the perfect tree!

BD @ BusyDadBlog.com said...

Brilliant strategy! Too bad I don’t have bitter cold on my side out here. I’ve really pushed the envelope the past couple years to the last possible moment. But this has become a serendipitous tree buying strategy. You only have to pick from 5 trees, they give you a great deal (just get it out of our sight!), and the tree you take home is so much more appreciative. I’m through with diva trees!

mindyluwho said...

"it's so cold that even your opinions are numb." Hilarious! I love it!

I can't imagine picking a tree in six minutes. It takes us, er...my husband, all day to find the perfect tree!