18 October 2007

octobre

I love fallish days like these, the rain-slicked pavement, the wind pulling at my hair and teasing leaves from cresting branches. During preschool this morning, we took a walk to find out what the world looks like wet. I thought we'd bring you along (especially you, Mom, who will ever feel that pining for Midwest autumns).

































our discoveries--

: heart-shaped leaves cupping rainwater : pale gold leaflets : puddles that soak you clear to your socks : a stray piece of packing Styrofoam turning cartwheels along the street : water footprints from the soles of our boots : berries like red pearls : moss-encrusted tree bark : pools of Sweetgum leaves like floating stars : how the wind catches our laughter and pulls it from our throats : sticks dark and soggy : damp, cold fingers : the velvet undersides of Black Oak leaves : sweet lure of autumn :

11 comments:

Tonya said...

beautiful photography...as always.

What a fun feild trip...that weather looks so crisp and inviting.

Thanks for letting me come along...

Kimberly said...

Pure poetry.

Norman said...

The longing in my heart for autumn will once again be satisfied in 12 days. Save some beauty for me!

Katy said...

oh, i love all the pics!!! Thanks for sharing! I LOVE fall!!! :)

Melissa said...

You've made my heart ache! I miss the fall so very very much....sigh! Great pics!

couture*4*my*cutie said...

Wow, I love your pictures! Fall is my favorite time of year! Hey, I tagged you on my blog. Come on over and check it out :)

~Michelle

~love said...

beautiful pics! we love exploring like this....so simple, yet not simple at all.

Chic Girl said...

Beautiful photos. I'm ready and waiting for our leaves to change. Usually the colors are ruined by rain.

Denny said...

I have always loved Autumn in the Midwest, as well as spring, summer and even winter. When I was still in school the leaves were a sign that it was time to start basketball practice, my favorite thing. Now it means appreciating the beauty of God's creation and that basketball can't be far behind. Love the pics, and the little people in them.

rhembein said...

Fall is my favorite time of year! Your shots are gorgeous and your post, delightful to read! As always, on both.

~gyl

Chic Girl said...

Beautiful photos. I'm ready and waiting for our leaves to change. Usually the colors are ruined by rain.