19 August 2007

thwarted addiction

Scattered about my house are scraps of notebook paper and pink post-its with lists of book titles. Namely, books I intend to read sometime this century, preferably the while-I'm-still-alive part of this century.

Here's a sampling of titles from the first two lists I dug up:

The Trouble with Normal (Cherise Mericle Harper)
Bird by Bird
Speak
Writer's Workshop in a Book
Sacred Games (Vikram Chandra)
Falling Man (Don DeLillo)
The God of Animals (Aryn Kyle)
The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears (Dinaw Mengestu)
Lolita

Rarely do I cross anything off these lists, however, since I never manage the foresight to bring any of the post-its with me to the library. So the books I borrow after a prodigious amount of hemming and hawing comprise an entirely different list themselves. A good list, mostly, but unintentional.

Yesterday was an exception.

It started off as not-an-exception, as I found myself at the library with four kids and no lists. But not only did I remember to look for Lolita, I actually found it on the shelves, in spite of not knowing the author's name (Vladimir Nabokov) and an apparent inability to ask for help.

So here I am, happily at home with three promising novels: Hattie Big Sky (finished it, pretty good), So B. It, and the aforementioned Lolita.

One book down, 274 to go.

3 comments:

Amelia said...

Oh Nic you're making me want to go to the library right now! perhaps it's because Adonis took my car and I'm stranded....but honestly I think I am just craving a good read.

Amelia

Melissa said...

I too have a list of books I'd like to read. But going to the library with my kids is difficult. Little Bug is a true believer that quiet is a bad thing. A really bad thing. So he does everything he can to destroy the quiet...

Kimberly said...

Way to lengthen -my- list. =P

I have the "can't ask for help" issue too. What's with that?