12 August 2007

IOU (Noel)

So I have this little brother whom I call Poley, or Poles* for short.





Somehow, in spite of growing up with me, he still sees the wonderful in me while categorically dismissing my failures. Like the flaws don't count because they're not really me, see? I love him for that.

He's also about the funniest person alive, and I'm convinced he's totally brilliant mostly because we share the same off-beat humor and he gets my jokes. I start to smile out of habit just at the sound of his voice, fully anticipating he'll whip out something beautifully gut-busting in his nonchalant way.


Plus, how can you not admire someone with such a freakishly gifted tongue?



You must admit, that's impressive. :)


I also love that he's introspective. I take curious comfort in knowing I'm not the only person who analyzes life into grains of madness. He's deep in the best of ways, and the fact that he's trusted me with knowing him is huge. And precious. Because what more can you give someone, really, than the secret of who you are?

My sunniest days are those where I've caught a glimpse of the girl I am in his eyes. I stand a little taller, hope a little higher, and think maybe, maybe someday. Maybe I really can be her.

Thanks, Poley.



{*The evolution went like this:
Noel
Noely
Noely Poley
Poley
Poles}

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

You are so lucky. Beyond lucky. You're blessed.

Swede at Heart said...

How sweet to have a relationship like that. :) I hope my kids are the same. And my word, that *is* a freakishly long tongue!

Amelia said...

I'm not sure who is more blessed, you, or your brother.

Your description of him is breathtaking. Poetically written praise that would make anyone envious of such a brother.

On the other hand...to have a sister who would pour out her heart in such loving adoration of me, I would be SO touched.

So my conclusion is this, that you are probably both to be complimented on the quality of your relationship as siblings and friends....because it seems you equally value each other!

Thanks for sharing Nicole, I never tire of reading your musings.

Amelia

~love said...

*smile*

Melissa said...

What a fantastic tribute to your brother!! It sounds like he is a wonderful part of your life :)

kris said...

ditto to another comment
*smile*

Tonya said...

Family is awesome & so glad that you have such great relationships with yours!

Amelia said...

I'm not sure who is more blessed, you, or your brother.

Your description of him is breathtaking. Poetically written praise that would make anyone envious of such a brother.

On the other hand...to have a sister who would pour out her heart in such loving adoration of me, I would be SO touched.

So my conclusion is this, that you are probably both to be complimented on the quality of your relationship as siblings and friends....because it seems you equally value each other!

Thanks for sharing Nicole, I never tire of reading your musings.

Amelia

Kimberly said...

You are so lucky. Beyond lucky. You're blessed.