Today is my older brother's birthday.
Over the years, I have found that older brothers are good for many things. Such as:
1. late night analyzing of your preteen crushes
2. doling out advice which may or may not be harmful to your chances of survival ("Just jump! It's not that high!")
3. keeping your secrets (mostly)
4. thoroughly whomping you at anything involving speed: timed tests, quiz meets, 100 meter dashes
5. singing duets with you at church, plus a good deal of pointing out that he has the better voice (it's true)
6. missing the irony of hammering your arm but not letting anyone else touch you
7. helping you get yourself grounded at age five for joining him in a mud-slinging event involving a neighbor's house
8. eating your unattended leftovers (younger brothers and fathers are good for this, too)
9. threatening the general welfare of your psychotic boyfriends
10. putting things in crisp perspective for you; i.e. "Well, you're sort of cute, but I have the best nose" (unfortunately, he does)
Happy birthday, Nathan! I do love you so.