17 March 2007

From the desk of the holiday-Nazi

Anyone else think July 21st should be a national (perhaps multi-national) holiday?

Not that I'm saying that the arrival of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a holy day. Or that the fictional Mr. Teen Angst ranks right up there with veterans and independence and Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm just saying, pragmatically, that a holiday would make sense. I mean, it's a Saturday, so hopefully you're off work in the first place. But for the weekend work-force, I envision an onslaught of vacation days, personal days, and hack, hack..."I'm too sick to come in to work today. Really." phone calls on that third Saturday of July.

Not to mention all the people who will be deep-frying hash browns, tossing newspapers at front doors, and operating heavy machinery with one nose stuck in the novel. Can you spell safety hazard?

Or the die-hards who'll raid Wal-Mart at midnight to nab one of the first copies sold, then proceed bug-eyed through the book so they can finish Voldemort's demise before their six AM shift. Ever had your maples trimmed by a guy who just pulled an all-nighter? Or your case tried in federal court? Or your spleen removed?

S-A-F-E-T-Y H-A-Z-A-R-D. I'm just saying.

So let's all petition the President or the Queen or somebody and get this holiday instated for the good people of HP fandom.

Unless you're of the ilk who believe Snape's evil. If you happen to find yourself in that particular camp, I say no holiday for you.

:)

5 comments:

Melissa R. Garrett said...

My husband and I were just talking about the new book yesterday - LOL! I told him I know exactly where my hiney will be planted once I get my hands on that book, and he'll have full-time kid duty until I am done. I can't wait!!

pseudosuperhubby143 said...

It is also the longest day of the year.

Kimberly said...

Brilliant post! Gave me a serious fit of the giggles. I'm going to go upstairs and paraphrase it for my non-blog-reading hubby.

We preordered our copy ages ago. And I'm undecided about Snape so do I get a holiday?

Nic said...

Well Kim, I'll allot you half a holiday. But I say get thee off that fence and join the good side! Teehee...

pseudosuperhubby143 said...

It is also the longest day of the year.